Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and I've been doing some research the last few days. I'm looking into buying my first shotgun. I'm looking for a Honda and not a Porche. I'm really hooked on the sxs 20ga, but I'm open to ideas. I would like to spend b/w $500 and $750. I've narrowed down to three different models that I've seen positive comments on, but any additional information would be great. On top on my list is the Traditions Elite Field STI, then the Stoeger Uplander Supreme and then the Stevens Uplander 411 Sporter. If anyone has information on these models I would really appreciate it. Great forum, thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A 20 gauge SxS is an excellent choice as an upland game gun, but is a poor choice for the target sports. You did not specify how you would be using the gun, but the point needs to be made.

At least one of the guns that you mentioned, the Stevens, may be more akin to a Yugo than a Honda. Low end Russian imports have a bad reputation for quality. A fellow that impressed me as having a lot of knowledge in this matter told me recently that it is not unusual for guns of this type to break firing pins after just a few dry firings. He opined that the mechanism within the receiver, the part you don't see unless the stock is removed, will normally appear to be crudely engineered. You can also expect that your ownership experience will include having a hard time finding parts and someone willing to repair a gun of this type when it breaks.

I don't have a recommendation for a SxS in your price range. Unless you buy a quality used double, I would ask you to consider a high end pump like an Ithaca Model 37, or an autoloader. Both the Remington 1100 and Beretta 391 can be had for the money you mentioned.

Of course, gun purchases tend to be emotion-charged with practically and logic often taking a back seat.

Good luck with whatever gun you eventually decide on.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey,I think your on the right track. A sxs 20 is a sweet gun once you get used to it. I own a stoeger 20 sxs thats about 20 years old and use itover my high end guns all the time. Stoeger builds a fine gun once you get past the 500.00 mark. Ive never had a problem and I use it for quail, dove and light puddle ducks.Ive handled alot of shotguns and the stoeger beats out most 1500.00 beretta and ruger guns Ive used as far as handling goes and the workmenship such as metal to wood fit far exceeds many others more expensive. When you buy make sure you can handle the gun first. A well fitting gun makes most hunters excellent shooters. This will become more important after the initial WOW of buying a new gun wears off. Good luck! I dont think youll regret a 20 sxs purchase.
2 holes

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think a 20ga. sxs is an excellent first shotgun choice. Who cares if it isn't the best target gun? I take it that isn't your prime reason for wanting one anyway (As an aside, I don't understand why this site seems oriented towards target shooters, considering it isn't named Claytargetworld.com, but rather shotgunworld.com :? ). It will still bust targets if you want it to, and nothing beats the looks of a sxs in my opinion.

Personally however, I'd consider a quality used sxs before I'd buy a new one in the price range you mentioned. As your fortunes improve, you can always restore it and have a fantastic gun when you're done. I just found a beautiful Belgium 16ga. sxs (It's not a 20, but you get the idea), for $695 at a local gun shop. It has beautiful engraving and case coloring, and is well built and rock solid tight. After searching the internet the gun appears to be about $1000 under-priced. Most importantly, it fits me extremely well and I love shooting it. I looked at some of the guns you mentioned, and also nearly purchased a Huglu sxs for $625, but I felt this was a wiser choice for me. Just food for thought.

Good Luck! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anonymous said:
New to this forum and I've been doing some research the last few days. I'm looking into buying my first shotgun. I'm looking for a Honda and not a Porche. I'm really hooked on the sxs 20ga, but I'm open to ideas. I would like to spend b/w $500 and $750. I've narrowed down to three different models that I've seen positive comments on, but any additional information would be great. On top on my list is the Traditions Elite Field STI, then the Stoeger Uplander Supreme and then the Stevens Uplander 411 Sporter. If anyone has information on these models I would really appreciate it. Great forum, thanks.
You don't really say what features you want. Ejectors? Single or double triggers? Screw in chokes? Do you want something pretty and functional or just functional?
The Russian Baikals have lots of features and the one's I've fired and seen fired are 100% reliable and well built....they're just "underfinished". O.K.....they're rough. A good friend of mine just bought a Baikal SxS .410 and had to do some polishing to get the shotgun to close smoothly, but it functions just fine. From all I can tell the Stevens 411's are simply Baikals with false sideplates. I've only seen pictures of the Traditions but they look like pretty nice shotguns.
Two other brands you might want to check are www.charlesdaly.com and http://www.tristarsportingarms.com . They both make a very nice SxS 20 ga. in your price range.
In used guns, regardless of what some say, you just can't beat the old Savage/Stevens 311's for reliability. They're not the most beautiful shotguns in the world, but they are tough.
I'm a true lover of the 20 ga. SxS and SxS's in general and I have a rule: I avoid the Brazilian shotguns at all costs. I'm sure there are some decent ones out there, but the few I've owned/fired weren't built very well. I believe the Stoegers are Brazilian...they look like it at least.
Lastly, if you could save just a little bit longer, I'd highly recommend the forthcoming Weatherby SxS's. I handled one a few weeks ago in Austin, TX and I'll tell you it is a GEM. It was tagged at around $1200. A beautiful firearm with all the bells and whistles,(single selective trigger, ejectors, screw-in chokes, nice wood, etc.) and I'd bet that if you shop around, after the initial, inevitable rush on these shotguns, you'll be able to get one in the $1000 range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anonymous said:
Sorry about the double post. I forgot to login, and I left something out. Don't let the naysayers tell you that a SxS isn't a target shotgun. While I admit that SxS's aren't the best target shotguns, I'll tell you that today I shot 4 rounds of skeet; 3 with my .410 SxS and one with my Pop's Franchi Falconet O/U 20 ga. Scores were as follows: .410:23/25, 20/25, 18/25. 20 ga. O/U: Mmmm......16 or 17/25.
You don't really say what features you want. Ejectors? Single or double triggers? Screw in chokes? Do you want something pretty and functional or just functional?
The Russian Baikals have lots of features and the one's I've fired and seen fired are 100% reliable and well built....they're just "underfinished". O.K.....they're rough. A good friend of mine just bought a Baikal SxS .410 and had to do some polishing to get the shotgun to close smoothly, but it functions just fine. From all I can tell the Stevens 411's are simply Baikals with false sideplates. I've only seen pictures of the Traditions but they look like pretty nice shotguns.
Two other brands you might want to check are www.charlesdaly.com and http://www.tristarsportingarms.com . They both make a very nice SxS 20 ga. in your price range.
In used guns, regardless of what some say, you just can't beat the old Savage/Stevens 311's for reliability. They're not the most beautiful shotguns in the world, but they are tough.
I'm a true lover of the 20 ga. SxS and SxS's in general and I have a rule: I avoid the Brazilian shotguns at all costs. I'm sure there are some decent ones out there, but the few I've owned/fired weren't built very well. I believe the Stoegers are Brazilian...they look like it at least.
Lastly, if you could save just a little bit longer, I'd highly recommend the forthcoming Weatherby SxS's. I handled one a few weeks ago in Austin, TX and I'll tell you it is a GEM. It was tagged at around $1200. A beautiful firearm with all the bells and whistles,(single selective trigger, ejectors, screw-in chokes, nice wood, etc.) and I'd bet that if you shop around, after the initial, inevitable rush on these shotguns, you'll be able to get one in the $1000 range.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The last 2 gun I have bought have been EAA Imports (Russian Baikals and Saiga). Another one my trap team has an O/U from them as well. I have not had the pleasure of shooting a Baikal SxS yet. I can tell you from my experince with these gun the SxS with exposed hammers will be my next shotgun purchase. I'm saving for the Saiga .308 first.
If you head over the the gun opinion section you can read my reviews of these weapons. No matter what anyone hears from a buddy or a gunsmith that sells a different brand I can tell you first hand the guns are quality and you get a lot for you $$. The 20ga SxS can be had for less that $380 and comes with screw in chokes.
For the money you will get more gun with a Russian import.
head over to EAA Corp website and check out the guns. If you want to hold them they have a dealer listing at the site or go to the nearest Gander.[/b]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll be using this gun 90% on quail with some Pheasant. I'll only being shooting clay's for practice. I would like single selective trigger, screw in chokes and auto ejectors. Mostly, I'm trying to locate where the guns are produced.

Uggie: Where can I find pricing on the CD and Tristar? I like the CD Field Hunter (around $600) and the Tristar Brittany ($?). They have what I'm looking for. Do you know where these guns are produced?

I think I'm leaning towards these two or the Traditions Elite Field STI. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anonymous said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll be using this gun 90% on quail with some Pheasant. I'll only being shooting clay's for practice. I would like single selective trigger, screw in chokes and auto ejectors. Mostly, I'm trying to locate where the guns are produced.

Uggie: Where can I find pricing on the CD and Tristar? I like the CD Field Hunter (around $600) and the Tristar Brittany ($?). They have what I'm looking for. Do you know where these guns are produced?

I think I'm leaning towards these two or the Traditions Elite Field STI. Thanks for the info.
I had the Brittany priced to me on-line for around $600. It may have been through www.gunfinder.net I don't remember, but I'll check.
-Greg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anonymous said:

i found one of the places. Go to the Shotgunworld main page and on the left, under "Services" click on "Best Gun Deals" . They shot me a real good price there.
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also looking for a sxs like the first guy that posted. I am trying to decide between the Charles Daly , Tristar Brittany sporting and the Stoger. I found out the the new Weatherby Orion is made at the same factory in Spain as the tristar and charles daly.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Me and Gordon (above) go round and round on this issue.
For me the $750 and under sxs from Stoeger, Charles Daly, EAA/Baikal, Tristar, Traditions, Huglu/Armsco are all not worth the money. If you spend that money on a $750 semi I can almost guarantee that in 3 years when you can better afford a WELL BUILT sxs your resale value on your old semi will be WAY more than on any of those SXS. You may even keep it because it's such a great shotgun. The Beretta 390/391, Browning Gold, Weatherby SAS, Remington 1100 are all good solid shotguns.

I know the sweet perfumed inner thigh of the SxS is alluring, I've heard her song for a long time, but wait until you can get a real keeper you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Personally, I really like the Savage sxs. I picked one up for 250 used and it is a great gun. So I would say that as long as it has what you are looking for and won't fall apart or blow up on you after you shoot it a time or 3 then any of the above listed guns would be a good choice. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jlptexashunter wrote, "I know the sweet perfumed inner thigh of the SxS is alluring, I've heard her song for a long time, but wait until you can get a real keeper you will not be disappointed."

I got sucked in by that sweet thigh just yesterday! I was just trying to buy a rifle rest when I saw this seductive used SxS staring at me: inviting me to pick her up. :wink:

Even though it is probably around 40 years old, the bluing is near mint and when you look inside the barrel it looks like it hasn't even been shot! There are a couple very minor dings on the stock, but what can you expect from a gal of her age? The receiver is beautiful. The quality and workmanship is very high grade, but because it was from an unusual French manufacturer (Manufrance) the price tag was VERY reasonable: a couple hundred less than a cheapo Brazilian SxS! :shock:

Far be it from me to walk away from such a pretty lady when she is calling my name. :twisted:

·
Registered
657 Posts
soreshoulder said:
jlptexashunter said:
I know the sweet perfumed inner thigh of the SxS is alluring, I've heard her song for a long time, but wait until you can get a real keeper you will not be disappointed.
I know what you mean! I looked into it and discovered razor stubble, bowed legs and vericose veins. :oops:

Mike
Where is she Mike? That's just what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Go with the Stoeger.It's by far the best gun for the money.The older ones used Mossberg chokes,but i've been told the new ones take Beretta tubes.Either way they can be found anywhere. I have 3 and never had any thouble whatsoever. I prefer the 16 g. I use my 16 for everything-hunting, clays, trap and have ran over 3,000 rounds though it flawlessly. Still as tight as the day I bougt it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.