Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading and I am looking at 2 different shotguns. I am considering a Browning Gold Classic or a Benelli M1. I like the styling of the classic humback look of the Browning and have heard that they are excellent guns.

I do not need a 3 1/2 inch gun. This will mainly be used for quail, trap and skeet.

I would like to hears some of yalls opinions on which gun you prefer.

Thanks

Bill, Jr

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bill, I picked up a used Win SX2 this summer and won't part with it. You may want to consider one as well as I believe there are some similarities to the Gold and interchangeable parts (maybe some of the others can comment on this).

·
Registered
439 Posts
The gas system of the Golds and SX2 is similar because they're owned by the same parent company.

I have shot the Browning Gold Hunter, but wasn't upland hunting, so I don't know what it feels like to carry one around all day. You might look at a Montefeltro. The Benellis usually weigh less than the gas guns, but that may or may not mean anything to you. Both are reliable, but some benellis can be picky about lighter shells. Are you looking at a 12 or 20? New or used? I believe the only M1 still made is in 20, as the M2 is the new 3 inch 12 model.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
I'm pretty much with hogfan81. Both guns are well made and have a lot of features. In my group of buddies there is one model each. The M1 (12) is B/S with a 26" barrel and the Classic (12) is a Hunter model with 28" barrel.
The M1 has an automatic magazine cutoff and the Classic has has a manual lever cutoff. The Classic holds five rounds total to the M1's four. Both can take magazine extentions. Both have similar safetys in size, shape, and location. The Classic is a very easy gun to clean but, the M1 is easier yet. If you include the recoil spring and tube the gold will be easier. The Classic has a very netural balance for me with the M1 having more weight towards the stock. The forearms are similar in width, but the M1 has deeper grooves. Weight wight wise the are close with the M1 being a little lighter. In 20 gauge, the M1 is quite a bit smaller and lighter in weight. Most people tend to think there is less felt recoil with a gas gun than either inertia or recoil guns. I don't share that thought.
What makes a good quail gun is usually the opposite of what make a good clays gun. It's easier and less expensive to add weight to a lighter gun. Both are a very good choices for all around use and you can't go wrong with either. Hold them side by side with different barrel lengths and pick the one you like the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.