Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on which gun to buy. The options are:

A new remington police magnum or a used, but in great condition Ithaca ds police special.

Both guns have mag extensions and are parkerized.

Which ever gun I buy will be mostly used for home defense, but I would also like to possibly like to acquire an extra barrel to hunt small game with.

I have to plans to "trick" the gun out with special stocks or side saddles, lights, etc.

Both guns are about the same price.

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have both an 870 and an Ithaca.

It sounds like the 870 would suit you best because of all of the aftermarket parts available. Barrels are easily interchangable.

If it was me I would buy the Ithaca. I would keep it stock standard. I would save up a bit more and buy a cheap Express HD to "trick" out and a 28" bbl for hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Unit91.

I too am kind of partial to the Ithaca, but was concerned if I could find an extra barrel for this gun, and if it would fit with the mag extension.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Assuming your gun has an extended mag like mine

A longer hunting bbl will not fit. You could get the lug moved forward but that would involve a fair amount of work.

The 870P is a great gun too. I have a few bbls to fit mine.

To me the Ithaca is still a nicer gun.

PS- Check to see whether it has a disconnect!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice gun, actually the one I'm looking at is very simmiler.

As far as the disconnect, I am unsure at this time. The serial number is in the 371xxx range

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not sure when they put in the disconnect. I remember reading 75 somewhere but I'm not really sure.
My s/n is 3717175XX and it doesn't have one.

Let us know what one you end up deciding on.

Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.