Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a rem. 870 express 12 ga. that i shoot trap and hunt with, but i have a big problems with rust on the matte black parts because of humidity. I am real good with it so i don't want anything that will feel too different. I want a new shotgun under 500$ for feild use, trap, and i would also like to try sporting clays in the future. I am thinking of a 870 wingmaster because the barrel, etc. is blued and won't rust as easy.

P.S. what is sandbagging :?:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For that budget, you can get some stainless guns, but they will have one tube, I'd go for a Baikal IZH27 - over and under in blue, and make sure to keep it protected. Even here in Florida we do not have too much rusting unless we neglect the gun.

Sandbagging occurs more in peoples minds than reality, in my opinion. Sandbagging is alleged when a shooter stays in a lower class, until they get to a major shoot and then reveals their true form and takes the top place, and usualy the money. The belief being that people will spend months missing birds then go to a money shoot and hit them. I don't think so.

However, the NSCA current classification system has the unfortunate effect of making sandbagging appear to happen. You will see people winning in lower classes, but not getting promoted because there are less than 50 shooters total or less than 5 in a class. Then they go to the big shoots and bingo they get to collect the moolah.

Roger

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Scolson,

This stuff will keep rust from happening. Get their 12 gauge plug and when you store the gun just throw this in the chamber. Also their gun bags are pretty nice, and if it's real bad grab some of the oil and give the gun a light coat before heading out.

http://www.theinhibitor.com

BTW the 870 Wingmaster is a great gun and I'd rather shoot cap guns than Baikals. But that's a personal preference. I think the Remington is 100x the guns the Baikals are.

Here Gordon, Gordon, Gordon.....

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
If you have an 870 Express and it is rusting, how would you KNOW if it was rusting? :wink: :lol: Sorry, I just couldn't resist that little jab.

Seriously though, I've found that guns with a matte finish are slower to show rust than guns with a smooth blue finish. If you like the way your present gun is shooting and the way that you shoot it, I would suggest that you simply make more effort to keep it oiled and thereby reduce the likelihood of further rusting. Of course, if you just want to buy a better looking shotgun, I can certainly understand that. :lol:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Take some steel wool and sand it lightly.

Also did you know that if you put your gun back in the case after shooting it will rust?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it out of it's case after I shoot it, oil it often but if I leave my gun in in our gun locker for any more than five days it rusts. My dad has a blued winchester 1300 sporting feild that he takes care of less than mine but never rusts.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Scolson,

Get the Inhibitor, I'm telling you it works.

Also you might want to get a dehumidifier for your gunlocker.

You can get them anywhere gunsafes are sold.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
By Gun Locker do you mean a security cabinet of some sort ? If so there is a device called a golden rod - you may already know of this? It will keep the mositure in the locker down. It is really like a 15 watt bulb you leave on all the time, and that would do as well. :lol:

I discovered the humidity of Florida in May when I left our guns in their soft sided slips over night. I then discovred a cleaner called Gun-Pro that does wonders down here. It put a ayer of plymer on the metal, or wood. It took out rust I could not see in my guns, and has kept them clean since.

Now, as Cathy says, it is, "Not inexpensive" but compared to new barells it is. :cry:

Roger

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts
Scrub the rust off, then just keep a light coating of oil or gun grease over the outside of the gun. If you like the 870, keep on shooting it. Of course it never hurts to have a couple more around.

Sand-bagging is the practice of intentionally missing targets in registered competition at no-money shoots to lower your score in order to be classified in a class lower than your true ability at a big-money shoot. Then the 'bagger's goal is to shoot a high score beyond the ability of the others in the class and walk away with all the prize money. I am sure there is a certain amount of it that goes on in all the shotgun games. Some folks feel it is not very common, and others scream we are up to our collective eyeballs in 'baggers.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Where I work just about every police vehicle has an 870 in it stored in a soft case. Most if not all have some rust on them. Some have more surface rust than finish. It's not that we neglect them, they're instruments of our profession and thank God nearly never have to be used. They are out, inspected for function, and back in the cases on each shift change. The only time they are regularly used is to dispatch an injured deer or a vicious dog. And none have ever failed. Once a year they are taken to the armory for detailed cleaning and unfortunately, their once-a-year coat of oil. The 870 is a proven firearm and we're not changing anytime soon, if ever.

Rubbing the rust areas with 0000 steel wool lightly soaked with some good quality gun oil should help. Buy some spray Remoil and coat the whole gun just before storage. Wipe it off when you go to your next shoot.

I'd buy another 870 Express. Many good used ones are hovering around the $200.00 mark.

E

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.