Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any information on this SxS 20g, with 24" barrels.
Model and age would be nice to know.
What I do know, has extractors, not ejectors.
Was converted to single trigger.
It has additional engraving, gold inlay work on underside.
No known nitro proof stamp can be found.
Was brought to the U.S. at the end of the war by an serviceman.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Kev
Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Shotgun Gun barrel
Cylinder Tool Gas Nickel Household hardware
Household hardware Gas Rectangle Metal Auto part
Tool Bicycle part Wood Metal Bumper
Cylinder Tool Gas Nickel Household hardware
Household hardware Gas Rectangle Metal Auto part
Tool Bicycle part Wood Metal Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
If I’m reading the serial number chart correct it’s made between 1910- 1911. But Raimey is the expert im not even a very good student. I’m reading from his older stuff to find it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I shoot a 1908 gun with Krupp fluid steel barrels. I’m more worried about the wood than the steel. I got the information on the steel years ago something around 100000 psi tensile strength. I’m not telling you it’s safe I just believe mine is if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Kerner Anson platform with a single Sauer Quality Crown. Those diameters were applied by an American mechanic in a honing or opening the forcing cone effort I bet. I will try to inspect the images a little closer. But the term >> Prussia<< denotes export so Sauer may not have paid for the Nitro proof since it may have been going to a country without proof laws. Check A&F's serial number set? I will dig a bit.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tend to lean toward the quoted description from Ger above. Here is the thing that strikes me.

Sauer and Son stamping

The guns I've seen are all Sauer and Sohn like the old Hawes I sold my brother recently, that was a 70's Sauer and Sohn revolver.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No they started Sauer and sohn stamp in 1840. Ger was proven absolutely wrong in that old thread. The serial number and date are correct. This one was exported to English speaking country hence Son, spelling.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Like I said, a non inland would wear the stamp of Prussia (Country of Origin) as well as the English spelling of Son. Almost all inland German Sauer guns wear the Sohn, such as War trophies in the US of A.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe it is a Modell VIII(8)?

I will check further.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
I am looking for any information on this SxS 20g, with 24" barrels.
Model and age would be nice to know.
What I do know, has extractors, not ejectors.
Was converted to single trigger.
It has additional engraving, gold inlay work on underside.
No known nitro proof stamp can be found.
Was brought to the U.S. at the end of the war by an serviceman.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Kev
View attachment 51071 View attachment 51072 View attachment 51073 View attachment 51075 View attachment 51071 View attachment 51072 View attachment 51073 View attachment 51074 View attachment 51075
Looks like a model VIII that has been polished and customized with the gold dogs head - “safe” in English shows it was made for export to USA.
Nice gun with ( to me) short barrels( 24”).
Cabelas in Las Vegas has a similar model ( sans the custom touches) , also with 24” barrels.
TVTYD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts