Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Load-All in 20 ga & need help..
Using once fired STS hulls...
The instructions are for both 20 & 12 ga...
WHAT first stage crimper do you use, one in the front or one in the back??____
Is there a trick in to getting the first stage crimper to align with the shell's crimps???____
Many Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
578 Posts
Its been a few years since I used a Lee load fast,but I'll try & help.
The rear position is the starter crimp for an eight segment crimp & I remember that I had a slight problem with this part of the sequence. I found the solution was not to drop the handle to it absolute bottom position at this location. Go about 3/4 of the way down & eyeball the shell. If the crimp appears to be nicely started then proceed to the final crimp position & once again you may need to experiment as to how far to lower the handle.
The Lee can reload good ammunition but it doesn't have any adjustment on the dies & as a result one needs to experiment.
I used mainly Win. AA hulls, but I'm sure you will have good results with the Remington STS. I use these for 12 ga. & find them equal or better than AA.
Hope you find these suggestion helpful.

Rod. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you don't use the front die at all??____
The 20ga STS hull is a 8 point....
Bob

·
Registered
578 Posts
Bob, I'm going from memory but I think the front position is for a six segment crimp & the rear is for the eight segment.
I also found you have to center the shell on the base carefully as it appears to be sized for 12 ***** not 20.

Rod.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I figured it all out....
You use the back Starter Crimper, used a mirror & light & seen the 8 points die.....
To bad you can't move it to the front, would be more covenient... Also wish they had a 20 ***** base for centering the shell..... It did make a great lookin crimp though...

G

·
Bob, good idea with the mirror & light. I agree with you on the base sizes. However I think it would result in too high a price for the conversion kit for 20 ga. if they had to include a new base for the press. I thought of trying to make an adapter to go over the existing base that reduced the 12ga diameter to 20 ga. size but gave up on it when I found a good buy on a used MEC in 20 ga.

Rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.