Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent the weekend at a family camp and actually got to shoot some trap. I brought along my trusty 1100 Trap gun and did horrible. I decided to use the camp directors Benelli ultra light 12ga and started breaking birds like I used to in the past. I was helping to teach some of the family camper what little I knew of shotgun shooting being maily a goose hunter for the past 30 years and figured out my 1100 just didn't fit. My shotgun has a raised cheek piece with a fancy wood stock. I'd like to know how I can adjust the rear stock to lower my cheek and get a better alignment. As it is now I can not align the mid and end beads together with out crawling all the way up the stock. Short of using a wood rasp on the elevated comb I'm not sure what to do. I have no problem paying a gunsmith to fix it but I'm not sure what the fix is? Being a field bird hunter I'm unfamilar with how to set the gun up better. My win 1400 12ga is just too ugly to take to club and hence I bought the 1100. Any help would be great sorry about such a basic question but, I firgured this would be a good place to start. Also I bought the Bob Brister book on shot gunning and learned that a gun should fit the shooter rather than a shooter trying to contort himself to the gun.

Thanks Brad :)

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Brad,

Your problem is caused by your low cheekbones. They cause your eye to be above the rib.

I addition to what Tron wrote and depending on how far your eye is above the level of the rib, your stock may be able to be bent to increase the drop at the comb dimension, which would lower your eye or refitted (inletted) the the action to accomplish the same thing.

Your gun has stock dimensions that are generally correct for a trap gun, although it may be shooting too high (with the gun's point of impact too far above the its point of aim).

It is also possible that you may not have realized that with your eye above the rib, you do not need to cover rising targets with the muzzle to achieve the correct vertical forward lead necessary to break them.

Your 1400 probably has a comb that is farther below the level of the rib, which lowers your eye and better aligns it with the rib.

You could also place an add-on rib on top of your existing rib. Add-on ribs are made to whatever height you need. They attach with double sided tape and have been used very successfully for years.

You could experiment with the add-on rib concept by using a strip of wood (balsa for example) taped to the top of your rib with electrician's tape. Balsa from a hobby shop is good wood to use because it is easy to work with. It is available in different thicknesses and can be sanded to fine tune the height/thickness and order a rib that is the correct height.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.