Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need help with an old-school card and wad load for bismuth for a Savage 755 I want to use on an old-school duck hunt this year.

The 755 is choked Full and I want to see what kind of patterns I can get with it by using an old-fashioned load.

I have been scouring the internet but the only bismuth loads I can find are with plastic wads.

Can anyone help me out?

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
Find a card and fiber wad lead load that you like. Replace the lead shot with 1/8 oz. less Bismuth. Simple but effective.

Reactions: Hamish2

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Find a card and fiber wad lead load that you like. Replace the lead shot with 1/8 oz. less Bismuth. Simple but effective.
That is what I would do as well. I would do a 1 1/8 lead shot load and drop 1oz of bismuth in its place using the 1 1/8 charge bar (it will drop just a tiny bit under 1oz of bis). You may not get a good burn using a lighter charge with the same volume, so I would choose a load with a powder that has both 1 1/8 and 1oz recipes and use the 1 1/8 recipe. I believe green dot does this in fibre if I remember right? If you can get a 1200fps load to start, you should be good.

One thing I would worry about would be the bismuth fracturing on impact and while hitting the barrel, I would buy a pound to test this before investing a lot into it. You may end up shooting a rock salt load

·
Registered
31 Posts
One thing I would worry about would be the bismuth fracturing on impact and while hitting the barrel, I would buy a pound to test this before investing a lot into it. You may end up shooting a rock salt load
Good point with 100% Bismuth. Makes me wonder wether shot buffer over card and wad combinations are useable and how it would affect pressures.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
Pressures will go up if you buffer any load using any type of wad, shot, powder, hull or primer.

The only way to stop Bismuth from fracturing is to buffer the load.

However, before you jump to conclusions, just try a load without buffer. I will bet it will kill birds just fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pressures will go up if you buffer any load using any type of wad, shot, powder, hull or primer.

The only way to stop Bismuth from fracturing is to buffer the load.

However, before you jump to conclusions, just try a load without buffer. I will bet it will kill birds just fine.
On the other hand, don't pressures go down when using cards and fiber wads? So it would tend to balance out.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
Any load that you add buffer to will raise the chamber pressure. Just because a load might be made with card and fiber wads does not mean it is a low pressure load.

Buffer generally adds +/- 2,000 PSI to a load.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm shooting unbuffered Rotometals bismuth. While there is some fracturing (as evidenced on birds), it seems to be a small percentage overall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts