Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am glad that I found this site. I just bought a Winchester 1300 from a frien of mine. First gun at a great price. Anyway, when I try to aim I find that in order for me to see the rear and front site. I mean the fron t in the middle of the rear, I find that I have to pull the gun away from my cheek. Any ideas??

from what I have rear it sounds like I am out to lunch with my positioning.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Dave,
alot of people have this problem with rear sight on a shotgun. It may be a mounting thing. There are some great posts on this site about mounting your weapon. It also may be a fit thing again with a bunch of great posts from other people on the subject. I've found that a Monte Carlo type of stock REALLY helps for this because it's more like pointing a rifle than a shotgun.

Do a search on this site for "fitting" and "mounting" and read up you find a ton of info.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Dave;

Your problem is caused by an illfitting stock dimension called "drop at the comb." Your gun has too much drop; in other words the comb is too low for your facial structure. (Your cheekbone is too far below your eye for the height of the comb on the gun.)

There are several options for correcting the problem. One is to have an adjustable comb installed for a cost of about $150. Another is to build up the comb by using mole skin from a pharmacy (over cardboard if necessary to achieve the necessary height.) The other possibility is to order a foam pad designed for raising combs, available in various thicknesses. They are available from a number of sources, Gamaliels.com in KY, for example. They are also available through Shotgun Sports magazine and Brownells.com in IA. Look for "comb pads."

You need to use one of the above cures to prevent your eye from moving as you swing the gun to targets. With the eye acting as the rear sight on a shotgun, you are running the serious risk of an unknown sight adjustment as the gun swings to targets.

http://stockfitting.virtualave.net/

G

·
Rollin is definitely correct as to cause and correction. Remember, though, that the sight should eventually be just a blur as you focus in the target itself. For a new shooter, this is sometimes new info.

Have fun, come back and let us know how it gors!

Best,

Jeff23

G

·
Rollin is definitely correct as to cause and correction. Remember, though, that the sight should eventually be just a blur as you focus in the target itself. For a new shooter, this is sometimes new info.

Have fun, come back and let us know how it gors!

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,I went to the range today. I found that when I put the gun to my cheek I could not comfortably rest it on my shoulder. I had to move the stock alittle. when I did this, The sites went way to the right. I then tried to aim with my left to have the gun smash my lip. I also tried it with a red dot to have the same problem. I could not see the red dot until I moved the gun 1-2 inches away from my cheek. When I move it, the dot is dead nuts in the center. Is it ok to shoot from this position or do I need a different stock or should I build it up with carpet pad and moleskin on the left side. I do find that I need to try to scrunch my neck down to achieve the right position. Sounds like Rollin is right, stock too low??

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sounds to me like you do have a stock fit / gun mount issue or two. In my experience, you need to get someone to actually look at the way you mount the gun to see what needs to change. Maybe some of the serious trap / skeet/ clay shooters here will have better advice though. I would suspect your mount first, then the stock fit.

Jeff23

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for your help. A special thanks to Rollin. Problem solved!

As it turns out I had to do a stock adjustment, I bought the Bearhawk sleeve with the pad inserts. After 2 fits....PERFECT!!

Can not wait to go shoot on Friday or Saturday.

Again Thanks to all that helped me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts