Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a reloader for christmas today, along with a copy of Lymans Shotshell Reloading Handbook 4th Edition. I have the reloader all together and I am also going to get a set of scales tommorrow so I can get everything fined tuned. I have thousands of once fired Remington Primier Nitro shells so I figured I would start with them. I tried looking them up in the Lymans handbook and I dont understand the book at all. I couldnt find the shells anywhere in there. I really dont understand the book, and where I can find the shells in there. I am brand new to reloading so any help or tips will be greatly appericated. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hunter,
The first thing you have to do is decide what brand of powder you are going to use. Then you have to get their reloading book or phamplet. Everything you need to know will be in the book. I use Hodgon powders, mainly tightgroup, as I find this is the most versatile. You can load this powder from 1125fps up to 1255fps with a very low charge weight. As I said decide on your powder , read the reloaders operational manual also read lymans book about reloading and do not hesitate to ask a question, even if you might think it is stupid remember the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. Hope this helps a little.
Raymond

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The reason the STS/Nitro hull isn't in the book, is because the hull as it is named wasn't on the market when the book was published. Use the "Remington RTL (Premier)" data or, find a combination in the listings that appeals to you----the faster rate of powders is probably the easiest to use for a newbie. That would be 700X/Clays/RedDot/e3/Solo1000 or similar, and maybe you need to find a source of a propellant first, and go by the best deal you can get in those fast rate powders.

When you decide on a propellant, all the common manufacturers (websites) have up to date loading data for that specific hull/powder. Kinda a process of elimination to fill out a given recipe once you have the hull and powder and you know the desired velocity.

Lymans 4th is a decent source of related data, not just to reloading but to the whole process---some basic info regarding shot, its sizing and energy, and relationships to all components. But it is in dire need of updating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking the time to help me I really need it. So you are telling me its ok to reload the Nitro shells like they are RTL's? Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Since you have a good supply of Remington's premier Nitro 27 hulls, just forget the recipes in the Lyman handbook and use it only for its excellent general instructions on reloading.

Go to these major propellant manufacturers' websites and bookmark them in your browser. All but Winchester have current load recipes online. While you're there, either order their printed load guides online or get their phone number and call for them.

Hodgdon Shotshell Load Data

IMR Shotshell Load Data (IMR, an acronym for Improved Military Rifle, is now owned by Hodgdon.)

Alliant Shotshell Load Data (Formerly Hercules)

Winchester Load Guides in PDF Form (This company can't seem to get in step with the rest of the industry by offering online reloading data for its components, so you'll need Acrobat Reader after you download the PDF files.)

Current Remington hulls are STS, Nitro 27, Gun Club and the economical Game Loads always available at Wal-Mart and discount sporting goods stores.

They all use the same load recipes and you'd do well to standardize on those, at least in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hunter, Nice present! You should look forward to a great hobby! :D

I suggest you should first figure out what you are going to use the handloads for. Hunting grouse, rabbits, crows, or all for shooting clay targets. What clay targets? Trap, skeet, sporting clays.. Some loads are better suitable for some activitys' then others.

Once you have figured out what you are going to use the reloads for, then look through the load data, in the Lymans book, or at the on-line load data from the powder manufactures. Figure out what load, velocity, weight of shot etc. you would like to have, to suit your hulls. Then simply buy the components that suit that load, powder, primers, wads. I would do it this way rather than just picking a powder, and then trying to find a load from that point. Some powders may not be suitable for the type of load you want. Cost factors can also play a role in figuring out what you might want to use.

Many reloaders end up with several different components, so they can build a variety of loads for the shooting sports they participate in. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What type of reloader did Santa leave you anyways??

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts