Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i bought a zoli siver falcon from gander mountain used for 430 dollars (parents got it for me for my birthday) and it is racking my brain the gun at the store said zoli was a turkish brand trying to copy a mossburg silver reserve but the reciver is nickle with pheasant and duck engraving all the way around and it has a little on the trigger gaurd but the trigger is not selective the barrel says A.Zoli 12Ga 3" and each barrel has small stars stamped in it and the top barrel says REM -BRES- ITALY and the bottom of the reciver says A797 then a lot of small symbols stamped in any id info would be really great thanks.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The first thing you need to understand is that the people who sell guns at Gander Mtn don't know sh*t from Shineola about guns.

Zolis are made in Italy, and it says so right on the barrel of the gun.

There have been at least 2 A. Zolis - Antonio (the better one) and Angelo (not so good, now out of business). Angelo made a Falcon model, but as far as I can tell, not a Silver Falcon. You didn't say what kind of gun this is, but Angelo's Falcon II was a SxS, while Antonio's Silver Falcon was an O/U. I think yours must be the Antonio Zoli Silver Falcon, but just to be sure, look for Antonio's trade mark, which is a bow and arrow - probably on the buttplate, maybe also on the barrel flats or the flat surface of the action (remove the barrels to see the marks).

The Blue Book describes Antonio Zoli Silver Falcon thus:
12 or 20 ga, 3 in. chambers, boxlock action, SST, ejectors, 26 or 28 in. barrels with multi-chokes, coin finished receiver with engraving, checkered Turkish walnut stock and forearm with weatherproof finish. Importation disc. 1991.
The book lists current values at $365-1450 depending on condition.

I know you said the trigger is not selective, and the description says Single Selective Trigger, but the book has been off or incomplete on other issues, so that does not rule it out. Does yours have ejectors and choke tubes? Barrel length?

Let us know about answers to those questions. Most important is the trade mark.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a o/u and i could not find the mark you were talking about and some one put on a different buttplate then the one that came with it and i found some new writing on the bottom of the barrell it says Cape outfitters-cape then below that Cape-Girardeau.MO- and i ask the guy about cokes and he said i had a full on top and a mod on the bottom but i can not see them any where except it looks like maybe a choke in the middle of each barrell the gun is in really nice condition a few nicks and that is it.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I feel pretty sure that is an Antonio Zoli, even though it does not have the selective trigger and choke tubes described in the Blue Book. Cape Outfitters imported Antonio Zolis, not Angelo Zolis. That gun is apparently a variation of the Silver Falcon that was made especially for Cape Oputfitters. It would be worth less than the $365-1450 (depending on condition) quoted by the Blue Book.

The stars you mentioned on the bottom of the barrels apparently indicate the degree of choke, based on the following key:

Cylinder *****
Improved Cyl ****
Modified ***
Imp. Mod **
Full *

Antonio Zoli currently makes a line of guns that are more expensive than the Silver Falcon was.

http://www.zoli.it/america/zgun.php

http://www.colegun.com/antonio_zoli.php

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
OK, I think I have found the same gun as mentioned here. Again, it was at a local Gander Mt. and I noticed this gun A. Zoli, pretty nice scrolling ducks on one side (duck looking birds) and pheasants (pheasant looking birds) on the other. Some scrolling on the trigger.

I went back tonight, it has Cape Outfitters -Cape then below that, Cape ___ MO just like the other guy mentioned. It has **** on the bottom barrel, *** on the top, but the other day when the guy at Gander measured it, he came up with M/F? Who knows? It obviously has fixed chokes, non-selective trigger, 26" barrels I think. . .it has some stamping on the bottom, but I could not find what I would call a bow and arrow, unless it is really small? There was something stamped that was a rectangle with something in it, but I couldn't make it out. Anyway, they want $324 and it's on layaway. It is in really good shape minus the plastic butt plate is cracked. The butt plate had some circle marks (circles within circles)

The one thing I could read on the bottom of the barrels was "Finito" :lol:

So am I right in assuming this is a Antonio Zoli? Or is it possibly a Angelo? I really wish I could of found that bow/arrow just to be sure!!

Thanks for the help in advance. BTW - gun seems nice and light and the quality seems good. I know it's not as nice as my Verona guns, but it's less than 1/2 price.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
omega58 said:
...it has some stamping on the bottom, but I could not find what I would call a bow and arrow, unless it is really small?
There could be a small bow and arrow stamped on the barrel flats or on the bottom inside of the receiver, where the barrels fit when closed. You would need to take the barrels off the receiver to look at those areas.

There was something stamped that was a rectangle with something in it, but I couldn't make it out.
Probably the date code. See http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

The butt plate had some circle marks (circles within circles)
Sounds like Angelo Zoli. He used a mark like a bullseye.

BTW - gun seems nice and light and the quality seems good. I know it's not as nice as my Verona guns, but it's less than 1/2 price.
Angelo's guns do not have the reputation that Antonio's guns do, but that doesn't mean they are bad guns. If it is in good shape and you like the look and feel of it, then it is probably worth the price even if it is an Angelo.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think you are right that it is a Angelo. . .I did some more looking and someone said that Cape Outfitters did import some Angelo's. . .and I found a pic just like the one on gunbroker listed as an Angelo. Now the gun on gunbroker is asking $500+. . .so now I just have to decide if I need another 12 gauge o/u.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.