Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anybody can help me ? How much does it cost reload a 1000 shotshells 7/8 (24 grams) 7.5 ? is cheaper than buy ? i would like reloading my shotshells, i didn´t that yet, but it seems very interesting.

Thanks the advises are very good to me, where i can find the cheaper prices ? and i didn´t find shot (7.5) only a place and very expensive besides. If you have some sites please send me the information.
Thanks again ! :D

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
For the 12 ga, it costs me about $2.25 for a box of 7/8 oz loads. I may be able to do it a bit cheaper as I am currently using Winchester WAA12SL wads rather than a clone. In 20 ga it is a little more expensive as I cannot buy powder as chepaly for this gun as the 12 ga. the cost here is around $2.28 a box. To get these prices I buy in large quantities at one time; a ton (2,000 pounds) of shot, a case of powder (four 8 pound cans), at least a case (5,000) of wads, and a minimum of a sleeve (5,000) primers at a time. I buy the cheapest components I can find (Eagle shot, Alliant Promo or Unique powder depending on *****, Claybuster or Duster wads, PMC or Cheddite primers) to get this price. Smaller quantities and name brand components may cost one more. I go in with several others to make these purchases so the out of pocket cost isn't too bad most of the time. When you add in the cost of the necessary equipment the cost benefit analysis requires a rather large expenditure of shells to make reloading profitable. I bought most of my machines second hand or at drastic price discounts and have had most of my machines for a decade or so which makes them pretty much paid off. Shell prices for 12 and 20 ga. are still pretty reasonable for the most part and I don't think it is a great benefit to reload for these unless one is shooting a tremendous number of shells.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Ballpark figures based on local prices at low volume:

Shot: from $17-23 per #25 plus 7% state tax

Powder: Promo $75 plus tax (8lb keg)

1lb of most brands $15-20 per

W209 Primers: $21.50 per thousand

Wads: WAA12L Gray $7.75 per bag of 250. Claybuster clone $60 from Internet per 5K plus shipping +/-

Hulls - Free from the ground at the range. Rem Gameload Occasionally newer AAs.

175,000 grains in a bag of shot divided by shot charge in grains will give you # loads per bag.

You can count on at least four pounds of powder to get you around 1000 reloads of 12ga with average of 28gr of powder per load.

Running a straight, or 50, or 75 with your reloads......priceless. I haven't gotten the elusive 100 straight yet :(

I hope this helps you decide.

Oh, almost forgot.

Mec 600Jr 12ga off eBay....$40-80 plus shipping and the hopes it's all there and working. New it is $109 plus tax.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Equismith said:
with average of 28gr of powder per load
I'm sure that's a typo and you meant to write 18 grains -- unless you're trying to blow up our friend from the Sunshine State.

·
Registered
344 Posts
rookie1 posted:
7/8 (24 grams) 7.5 ? is cheaper than buy ?
If you truly want that international load it will almost always be cheaper to reload in my experience. Except for some loads that Walmart sold for a while, every international (or 7/8 oz) load that I've seen costs more than the same company's 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads. The only reason I can think is that they are selling in lower volume.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I wasn't quoting any recipes. Just as the first line stated: ballpark figures.

No. Not a typo.

Hence giving him an idea about what to expect for price and consumption of components...

Some 12ga 1 1/4oz loads call for 40gr of certain powders.

3/4 oz loads on this site have quoted using 14gr or so of other powders.

Not the cleanest powder but I hit 46 out of 50 on the windiest day I've shot on so far this year or last.

No recoil at all.

Once this pound of Bullseye is gone, I'll start on the Promo.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I buy components is small lots. I just repurchased almost everything. I ran the prices in the calculator above. It cost 3.50 for 7/8 oz 12 gauge. $3.30 for 3/4 oz. Thats with no cost for hulls shown.

Shot 23/bag, primers 2.99/100, wads 4.50/250 (grey winchester, and the new price is 7.50), clays powder at 16/small jar.

If you don't mind the extra recoil from high speed 7/8 oz loads I think you can buy them cheaper. My advise is to shoot the gun clubs and save the hulls and look at reloading later if cost is your only consideration. Last time I looked it cost $5.00 or a little more a box for the AA or STS light target loads and shipping.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You are not going to do very well with internet websites unless you start buying in large volume. Between freight and the hazmat charge ($20 for each order of primers or powder, in addition to the freight cost) it's not economical in smaller orders. Lead is hardly ever economical to buy internet/mailorder because of the shipping weight.

Your best bet is to go to some local shotgun ranges and ask around, especially to some of the old-timers. They will most likely have some source that's more economical.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
rookie1 said:
i didn´t find shot (7.5) only a place and very expensive besides. If you have some sites please send me the information.
Florida nearly always has a gun show going on somewhere and the big ones usually have a number of component vendors.

Prices are usually very good -- at least they used to be.

West Palm Beach has a big one periodically.

There's a big gun club, whose name escapes me, out on the Tamiami Trail just west of Miami. You could get some good information there and maybe even shot at a reasonable price.

Just look in the Yellow Pages under shooting or gun clubs.

The bottom line on getting components is to simply start asking people. Sooner or later you'll get on the trail of some good sources.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts