Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need load data for AL-7 POWDER. 12 ga. 1 oz and 1-1/8oz loads. Anybody have a source for information ?

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
send gauge and shot load and hull you want to use, I have some data

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

At least it is a start. Looking at the load and burning rates of the powder. A 1 oz load should be safe at 31 gr. and my other components. Normally a drop of 10% is used when you go to conventional wads to start. Then I am factoring in a 50% percent reduction in load weight, with a Win 209 primer and GM Hull. Should work safely.

If there is any other info out there please jump in.

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
neophyte said:
12 ga. (2-3/4")
Federal Gold Medal Hull
Win. 209 primer
Fed. 12 CI wads.
AL-7 powder
No luck, all uses are for heaver shot loads and other obscure wadding. You might have a bunch of good fertilizer there, or possible handgun powder.

·
Registered
968 Posts
NEO if you was as old as me and BP, or add us together and make it as old as Case, you would dig out your stash of Wanda hulls and load the following;

12g Wanda hull
one Wanda Sleeve
one 20 Ga Win. 3/8" Molded Fiber
one Wanda over shot Top Wad
Alcan 220 Max-Fire primer
34 grains AL-7
1 1/8 oz lead shot

BP you got any Max-Fire 220's left? :wink: Ive got all the rest. How bout you Case? Got any AL-7 in a Wanda hull fixin's ?

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Heck I think all I'm missing is the Wanda hull and the Max-fire 220s. I have a bunch of the 57* though. I suppose I could wrap a bit of masking tape arround them and fit them into the 209 size hole? :shock: No, I do have a couple Wanda hulls!

Actually I do have a few loads for AL-7 in 1-1/8 using either Federal OR Alcan hulls and even AAs with "one piece plastic" wads and "any" non-magnum primer. I've loaded up a few, they are thumpers! :wink: I've got about 10# of the stuff yet too. Some AL-5 and 4 or 5# of AL-8 too.

BP

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Alcan Reloader's Manual XI does NOT show ANY recommened powder charges for 1 or 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge loads. Their recommended loads start with 1 1/4 ounces of shot. You can load one ounce loads in 20 gauge with this powder. Check the older Lyman loading manuals for specific recommendations since the Alcan manual concentrates on using paper and PGS OP wads and fiber cushing wads.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The Wanda load I posted above was straight out of the Lymans first edition and is as shown a 1 1/8 oz load.

If I had a big can of AL-7 powder, and some Gold Medal hulls, and anybodies 209 primers, and a 1 1/8 oz charge bar, and some Windjammer wads I would load em up and let the rest of the measure it to the enth degree crowd flame me for wildcatting with unknown recipes, and I 'spect if I didnt get 'em too hot BP would probably do likewise.

You do what ever your constitution will allow you.

The safe bet would be to sell the can with contents to someone who has and can still load the old style components, or an antique collector. Then get some modern components.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
GCBluerock;

OOOOOOPS! Now you've let the cat out of the bag! :roll:

I just might do that!

In fact there stands a pretty good chance that the day you were up here and shot with me that I was shooting some of those "cooked up" 28 ga loads I sometimes use loaded with AL-8. Nope, I didn't use Max-Fire 220s nor were the hulls Alcan plastics nor were the wads nitro cards and Feltan-Bluestreaks. Nor were they loaded with the 23 gr listed on the load data sheet provided by Alcan in the package of Flite-Max wads. Safe bet they were in Federal or Cheddite hulls, Fiocchi 616s, Federal wads and I won't say how much powder. I made that call by myself. Somewhat less than the 23 gr I'll grant you that!

"If in doubt, Don't!"

Best advise I can offer.

I'm going to load up a bunch of Sporting Clays loads using my AL-5 and AL-7 using up a lot of my old Alcan PGSs and Flite-Max wads. I even have some more or less modern style one piece blue plastic Alcan 1-1/4 oz wads that should make thumpers with AL-7 and the old CF AAs. Yes I do have that data from Alcan, right beside my keyboard, right now! :wink:

BP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts