Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For reasons unknown to me I'm not getting a good burn with Bluedot.
Here is the load.
38 grains B.D. an 11 gauge nitro card wad to keep compression on the powder, the Pressure Sabot Wad, or Hammerhead slug, both names are for the same thing.
Good firm roll crimp.
The works is put up in a Fiocchi 2.75" NEW primed hull.
Still I don't get a good burn.
There is much unburned powder in the barrel, recoil is way too mild for what I'm shooting.
This load should about exactly duplicate the good Hastings factory load.
The ONLY load I've ever seen for the Hammerhead is 38 grains of B.D. in the 2.75" hull.
I'd love to find data using Longshot or IMR 4756.
Anyone got suggestions please?

·
Registered
290 Posts
No need for the nitro card. 38gr. Blue Dot is a lite load, try this-2 3/4 load-42gr. Blue Dot compressed & immediately roll crimped= 1500fps. Blue Dot is a good but notoriously dirty powder. What you see in the barrel has been burnt.

2 3/4" Max capacity-38.5gr. IMR 4756=1450fps.
I get good groups with the Blue Dot loads.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've never loaded the slug in question so I'm a wondering does the wad itself on the slug have a pressure seal skirt on the bottom? If not I understand your use of the 11ga. card wad under it. If it does I don't get it, trying to take up space? Either way you might want to swap out the card-wad for a BPI plastic 12ga. gas sealing piston which should take up about the same amount of space. As far as powders go I've had good results from WSF with slug loads. It seems to be slow enough for good quality slug loads but fast enough to burn without the issues your getting from Blue Dot.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the comments and information.
The 11 gauge card wad is to compress the powder.
The Sabot Pressure Wad is the Hammerhead slug now loaded by Hastings, copied by Lightfield as the "Commander" and stolen by Remington (so I hear) and marketed as the Buckhammer.
From my 870 rifled/scoped Express I get an honest 4" at 125 yards from the Hastings. 2.75" 1 1/4 oz slug which is the SPW/Hammerhead. 4" is o.k. but, like most of us, I want better.
I switched powders to SR 4756, 38.5 grains today.
Quite a difference between the Bluedot and 4756!
Everything else is the same save for the change in powder and the difference at the range is distinct!
The 4756 loads crack like a centerfire rifle, kick more sharply, and leave less mess in the barrel.
Sadly the accuracy is still not there. My group of 5 at 125 measured a poor 10".
I was using the H&R Ultra Slugger.
What do you load?
Would you mind sharing some details?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts