Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting a 12 gage reloader and need to find a recipe for remington hulls game loads, cci primers. promo,need to know what wads in claybusters, and powder amounts for 3/4,7/8,1,11/8, thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
The FIRST thing you should get is a good SCALE, and follow the directions for use. Powder bushing charts are notoriously poor, at best. The only way to know for sure is to use a scale!

BobK

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
njtinman said:
i am getting a 12 gage reloader and need to find a recipe for remington hulls game loads, cci primers. promo,need to know what wads in claybusters, and powder amounts for 3/4,7/8,1,11/8, thanks in advance
You absolutely need to pick up a reloading scale. There are no bushing charts for Promo powder. Promo is a discount powder because Alliant only blends each batch to match Red Dots burning rate, not its density. So you may often have to change bushings when changing batches. Get a good electronic one if you can afford it.

For the Claybuster wads: 3/4 & 7/8 oz use CB0178-12=WAA12L; 1 oz CB8100-12=TGT12; 1 1/8 CB8118-12=Fig 8. Use the Remington Premier, STS; CCI209, Red Dot recipe for 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. For the 3/4 oz load search for Case's 3/4 oz load. For the 7/8 oz load buy Rem 209P primers if you insist on following the book. I'll check Lyman's later for any CCI 209 primer loads.

CB110-12/WAA12SL or CB1118-12/WAA12

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've allready got a scale and have been doing 20 gage and found a deal on cci primers so there is not a lot of info with cci primers and claybuster wads that i can get localaly

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
As you can see by my other post, Claybuster makes a bunch of different clones. We cannot read your mind to figure out what Claybuster wads you can find locally, so post what CB wads you can get.

I checked Lyman's 5th ed and could only find couple of Red Dot/Promo recipes with Down Range XL-1 and Fed 12S0 wads. The main problem is that Alliant has very few published loads with primers other than the company that makes the hull. I thought that I was a 1 oz CCI 209 recipe, but I guess it was for CCI 209M. Rechecking Alliant's on-line guide there are only 2 recipes for 1 1/8 oz load with Red Dot/Promo powder, CCI 209, and Rem Fig 8 / the CLAYBUSTER CB8118 wad is the clone of the Rem Fig 8.

If you insist on having tested and published recipes then pick up some Hodgdon Clays powder. Here is the link to Hodgdon's website => http://www.hodgdon.com

Now if you want some loads that should be below the 11,500 psi maximum pressure, just let us know what Claybuster wads you can get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can get promo cheep neer me so im looking for wads that are cheep to save on costs im making my own shot just trying to get ideas on wads cause allready know that theres no published recipes and got my 20gage recipe through here not looking for anything crazy. ps i buy from tnt he is local to me

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
njtinman,

You will get so many recommendations here that it will only tend to confuse you even more.

Since it is, (or rather you have), decided to use Promo powder. My suggestion is for you to call Alliant and ask for their current copy of Alliant's Reloaders Guide. This has a special section showing many loads for Promo powder.

Call 1-800-276-9337, and order your copy of the guide.

Additionally, since the load data for Red Dot is identical to Promo, (actual charge weights, not bushings), you can use any published data for Red Dot, and simply use the same weight of Promo, and be fine.

DLM

PS: Check for PM I sent.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you go to Alliant's site & down load the guide it has the PROMO recipes listed in it.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
njtinman said:
i can get promo cheep neer me so im looking for wads that are cheep to save on costs im making my own shot just trying to get ideas on wads cause allready know that theres no published recipes and got my 20gage recipe through here not looking for anything crazy. ps i buy from tnt he is local to me
Try these recipes with your CCI 209 primers and Rem hulls.

7/8 oz shot; 17.0 gr Promo; CB0178-12 wad.

1 oz shot; 18.0 gr Promo; CB1100-12 wad.

1 1/8 oz shot; 17.5 gr Promo; CB1118-12 wad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.