Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live, crazy antigun law forbid pump action 12 ga, but allow semi auto 12 ga :shock: , tough theyre limited to 2 shots in the magazine plus 1 in the tube, and the barrel must be at least 24" of lenght.
What will you guys choose as Home Defense shotgun between a 18" or 20" double barreled coach gun or a 24" semi auto limited to 3 shots?
thanks for your help!
PS: I have both but would like to pic one up to intensive training.

·
Registered
839 Posts
plom:

Welcome fellow newcomer to the forum.

If you could back it up with a pistol, I would choose the semi-auto because of the extra stopping power of fifty percent more ammo (even if it is just one more shot).

I am guessing that a handgun is out of the question, though. Since even 3 rounds (your upper limit) may not get the job done, pick the one that you can reload the fastest.

Interesting question and quite a predicament. Good Luck.

RJM

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
For HD use I would go with the double gun. Trying to maneuver around the house with an enormously long barrel is going to be rather difficult. The double will give you much more manageable package, and being able to bring the muzzles to bear might make a difference.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
m24shooter said:
For HD use I would go with the double gun. Trying to maneuver around the house with an enormously long barrel is going to be rather difficult. The double will give you much more manageable package, and being able to bring the muzzles to bear might make a difference.
Plus, the second shot out the double will be faster than any semi auto.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Bad guys don't follow laws. Now the criminals in Europe have all the guns and the law abiding citizens have few. Never depend on the Police or the Government for your safety. The people of Louisiana and Mississippi found that out the hard way during Katrina.

GC

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
double gun
#4 buck on one side, 000 on the other or slug....

Let 'em have both barrels. and if your wondering about a reload, watch some cowboy action shooting sometime. they run side by sides, shoot with one hand while pulling shells with the other.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the inputs guys! I'll go for the side by side with an 18" barrel. I actually shoot Cowboy Action shooting (SASS 77183) and will load it with #4 buck.
Dear Elesar,since they've bombed Oklahoma, falled the twin towers, bombed the metro in Paris,London and Madrid, I don't know any safe place on earth, but for sure if you know a real safe place on this planet just let me know cause I'll move my family at this place right now.
Oh, and by the way Elesar, if a shotgun is not a real dangerous weapon in your mind, WHAT IS A REAL DANGEROUS WEAPON?
As MAX100 say it very well, criminals don't need CCW or autorisation to get weapons, they just go on the black market to buy some.
During my years as LEO I saw too many good people get hurt or injured because they wanted to respect "the law".If somebody want to get in my house, I prefer to have a coach gun in my hand than a cop on the phone.
Pistols and revolver are allowed here, but very restricted so why bother to buy a very restricted pistol to protect your home when you can get a shotgun? Beside, a good old friend told me once, "only a fool bring a pistol for fight against a shotgun..."

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
plom said:
thanks for the inputs guys! I'll go for the side by side with an 18" barrel. I actually shoot Cowboy Action shooting (SASS 77183) and will load it with #4 buck.
I would take it to whoever in your area does tuning work on SxS guns. I took mine to a SASS smith, and he did some work on mine. I had the chambers polished, removed the automatic safety cam, had the springs tuned, and the trigger bearing surfaces stoned. This let me open the action one-handed, shuck the hulls quickly, and not have to disengage the safety every time. Of course after doing all of that my father decided he really liked it and it now serves in his house as Katrista deterrent.
Also, you might want to add some kind of recoil reducer or weight to the stock, and invest in a good recoil pad to replace the original if it is one of the crappy hard ones. #4 is going to be a handfull at full power out of those short shotguns.
During my years as LEO
Welcome to the board, there are several of us on the job here. And it is always interesting to get firearms perspectives from Europe, Africa, the PI, and other places outside of NA.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think the 24 inch 3 shot auto is a better option for static defense. Home defense falls into two basic catagories in my opinion. If a burglary or other tresspass is taking place, ensconed in the master bedroom with the 3 shooter pointing at the door while waiting on the cops makes much more sense. Looking for trouble in the house if you suspect a problem is simply not worth the risk. Doing so with a long gun multiplies the risk of poor movement due to the length.

If you suspect a problem due to a "bump in the night" and ONLY if you think it is nothing but want to make sure, then check it out with your BP handgun or the short double. If you truly believe the crime is happening stay in the bedroom with the 3 shooter pointed at the door.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the good infos guys! :D I really like this forum it's full of good inputs!
Actually if something happen like people trying to get in the house (I live in the mountains and the first LEO might take at least 45 minutes to reach the house) the plan is that while I secure the stairs my wife will take our kids in our bedroom, load her Marlin 1894 an dial 911, then I'll stay with them in the room behind the bed ready to wait for the intruder. This is in the case the BG survive my rottweiler dog. This is the main plan but we never know how things can go and if I need to move out of the room then you guys are right the shorter weapon might be the best option.
+1 for the semi auto in static defense, the good point of the semi auto too is that you can reload it with one round in the chamber while still ready to fire.

the other option would be to buy another barrel for the semi auto and shorten it but this will be illegal :evil: pfffff....
Elesar, sorry if I took it wrong :wink:
m24shooter, I will help you with glad if you need infos about firearms in Europe.
I'm IALEFI instructor so I try to be up to date about this.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
zombie said:
Plus, the second shot out the double will be faster than any semi auto.
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!!! There is no way in the world you can get two aimed shots off faster then any automatic will function. That statement in and itself precludes me from ever reading another one of your posts and giving your opinion and weight.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
John3200 said:
That statement in and itself precludes me from ever reading another one of your posts and giving your opinion and weight.
Wow! That is harsh. Zombie is a pretty good contributor here, even if you don't agree with his last post. Zombie doesn't need me to defend him, but I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well I can vouch for the ability of a 2nd shot out of a double being a LOT faster. It helps if you have a double trigger gun and the first shot causes the second trigger finger to contract. "KA-BOOM-BOOM!!!" :D

Note I did NOT indicate it was more accurate unless BOTH barrels went at the same time and headed to the same mark. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts