Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am new to the shotgun world. I have many handguns but I dont know a lot about shotguns. i need to know what shotgun I should get for my specific need. I only intend to use it for spot shoots or "turkey" shoots as some people call them. I know I need a 12 ***** but other than that I have no idea. I hear people talking about chokes and such but im not sure what all that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
jkeller84, First of all, WELCOME to SGW!

I'll start off with what little I DO know (or think I know). I'm not a participant in the turkey shoots held all over the place, but I've spoken with a few that do shoot in them.

Most prefer some form of shotgun that has a longer barrel and tighter chokes. The idea as I understand it, is to either clear out a target or to place a pellet as close to the center of an 'X' as possible to win.

Chokes are nothing more than a slight constriction toward the end of the barrel. The intent is to make the grouping of the pellets become smaller or tighter together.
Since you're a handgun shooter, think of the choke as helping your favorite 9mm put a magazine full into a quarter vs having them in a pie plate.
Chokes don't do quite that good a job, but they do 'control' the pattern.

Patterning is the act of seeing exactly what effect on the shot a given combination of shell, gun and choke have on the shot that is coming out of a shell. It can be done at a variety of ranges but is generally done in the 25 - 40 yard range.
The method is fairly simple, place the target at the desired range, mark an aiming point on the center of the target (generally a sheet or two of white butcher paper). Set up the shotgun on a bench rest much like shooting a rifle. Aim at the aiming point and fire.
You then draw a circle 30" in diameter (15" from the aiming point) and count the number of pellets in the circle. The more pellets, the tighter the choke is.
You can do a search here on SGW to find other discussions on patterning.

Hope this has been some help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Benelli SuperNova in Camo would be the perfect gun for what you are describing. If cost is the issue then any pumpgun would truely be fine. However, the Benelli SuperNova is the cream of the crop in my ideal world.

Auto Loaders are about double to 5 times as much as a pump.
Double guns (over and unders or side by sides) are even higher for a good one.

Plus: the shucking is AWESOME!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
aiken said:
The Benelli SuperNova in Camo would be the perfect gun for what you are describing. If cost is the issue then any pumpgun would truely be fine. However, the Benelli SuperNova is the cream of the crop in my ideal world.

Auto Loaders are about double to 5 times as much as a pump.
Double guns (over and unders or side by sides) are even higher for a good one.

Plus: the shucking is AWESOME!
Check the original entry for the intended use....most of the "Turkey Shoots", or "Card Shoots" as they are called in some parts of the country, use a simple, single-shot break open gun with a homemade barrel; usually relly long with some sort of bizarre choke design. There's no need for a pump or an autoloader.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts