Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I only meant "old-fashioned" as in it has its origins in the past...

I don't mind the term, either. It's like measuring shotguns with "gauges", that archaic English system of measurement. I sure as heck wouldn't want us to switch over to the metric system!

I think it's McKie's comment you're referring to... (McKie, I do respect your opinion, too) :wink:

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Ya, I agree-- there has to be a little semi-secret or peculiar knowledge to everything. Keeps it interesting. I'm a Piltdown man, however, or at least a Comanche. I'm thinking of getting a blackpowder shotgun. Ah well, to each his own:) Didn't mean to imply anything negative about you or your posts--I learn alot from them.

Hey, you're right, it is Mckie's post. Sorry. Again though, it's all good info.

Thanks,

Jeff

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Also, to set the record straight, I too have read the zillions of posts about 870's jamming with promo shells. It just never happened to me, so in my self-centered way I thought that was a big point to make. Sorry to have been such a moron:) Promo shells only save you a couple of bucks--if you can afford a shotgun, you can afford five bucks for some decent shells. So I agree with JLPTexashunter (it would be foolish not to).

· Registered
114 Posts
I have recently emptied the shot out of different shells and then cut them open to remove the wad. (just to see the components in the cheap and expensive shells.)

When I cut open a winchester super speed and universals 12 and 20 ga shell, I found the same wad thats in Winchester AA shells.
The shot looks round, but I don't know how hard it is.

The remington high velocity and sport loads in the 4 pack all had the remington power piston wad thats in all the other remington shells.

The federal multi-purpose shells in a 4 pack had the 2 piece federal triple plus wad in them. Although different wad thats in the Gold Medal Federals, they are the same wad thats in the classic and Premium hunting loads. The 2 piece deal is a shot cup and then a base over the powder gas seal.

All cheap shells had the metal (alum. or tin) head on them but the expensive shells have brass.
The remingtons seemed to have the strongest hull.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.