Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll,We'd like to build up the 'Hunting Tips" section at www.shotgunworld.com/hunttips.html (bottom of page). We need some more hunting tips, so please post any tips you have for other hunters. The web page only lists Dove, Turkey, Duck, and Deer, but if you have others that's fine. Just post your tips here.thanks,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.comEdited by: Shotgunworld at: 12/10/02 1:08:02 am

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll fill it up if I can figure out how to use it.Mainly deer, a few turkey tips. ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---Edited by: JackRyann at: 12/8/02 10:55:04 pm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Number one tip for all hunting and fishing was given to me by a pro fisherman at a Gurney Mills exhibition. I was watching all these demos and equipment shows, displays and stuff.At a little lull between the action I got one of those guys aside a little who appeared to me to really know what he was talking about. I ask him,"Ya know, I'm a working guy and I can't afford to buy all this stuff just to find the one or two that really work. If you had to pick one thing here today, what should I get to help me catch more fish?"He then gave me the absolute very best advice I've ever gotten.He said, "Well, you can't get it here. The one truely secret ingredient that will help you catch more fish and therefore MORE BIGGER fish is MORE TIME ON THE WATER. KEEP YOUR BAIT WET. Instead of spending all day wandering around here listening to these guys blabber and buying up all these lures, get a handfull of whatever looks good to you and get out of here and ON THE WATER."Since that day I've tried to apply that single strategy over and above all others in fishing OR hunting. Any strategy or product that interferes with that primary principle deserves serious consideration and evaluation for the value of continueing it.With that in mind every other piece of advice should be considered at best a distant 2nd.JPR ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
One thing about both the general population of hunters and fisherman is that they are lazy. They do not want to put forth the effort that is necessary to be successful at either venture. That is one reason that all these fad items are so popular with some semi-familiar face hawking the next best, got-to-have-it-to-fill-your- bag gadget. The majority of all that stuff out there does exactly what it is meant to do, seperate YOU from your dollars. Think of all the paid for ads on TV offering the Banjo Minnow or the like, the shows where the host is using the Xtreme flare lipped wonder lure with flashhing lights and disco ball.....that's to catch a bell bottomed bass or a tie-dyed trout :) , the hunting show where the host expounds on the way cool camo or call that the (sponsor) guest is using, etc these are all gimicks that may in some unique situations actuall work. However, nothing is going to compare to actual woodsmanship, knowing when and where the animals will likely be when you want to hunt them.A good hunter or fisherman puts forth the time and effort to learn the habits of the critters that they plan on taking. The more time you spend the better your chances of learning, either through success or failure, with failing sometimes a better learning tool than succeeding as it makes you strive to not repeat the same mistake twice. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BP rifle tips.When in storage make sure the rifle muzzle is lowest. This keeps any oil from collecting at the point of intial ignition. This alone will eliminate 90% of all misfires.When loading up for hunting, fire a coupl caps first on an MT barrell to clear any oil or obstructions. This will eliminate 90% of the remaining 10% of misfires.Make sure you are using good fresh caps. Get new ones and throw any left overs away from the previous year. They don't cost THAT much. RWS caps normally fit pretty tight on the nipple but if they don't or if you use CCI caps give each one a little squeeze to make them tight on the nipple. Other wise they will tend to fall off and result in a childish fit upon the buck of a lifetime laughing his big white butt off at you as he runs away.On a Hawken rifle at least, be very careful, but hold the trigger back when setting the hammer in order to do it silently.Buy one of those fiber glass ramrods to use when hunting. You cut them to fit your rifle. They are all long when you get them. Cut it so it sticks out about an inch or so longer than the end of your rifle. That way you can set the muzzle end down and not fill the barrel up with dirt or debris.Drill a shallow hole in the side of your ball starter the size of your ram rod. That way you can use the ball starter as a handle. It makes a big difference when you do a lot of shooting like when sighting in or just plinking with friends. They'll all be grab'n your "handle" 'afore the day is over and they have blisters in their palms.( of course if they don't get blisters that must mean they have another activity they participate in regularly to toughen up that part of their hand! Ha ha) ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---Edited by: JackRyann at: 12/20/02 3:03:50 am

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's some tips I learned from the people I grew up hunting with:Squirrels:1.) When you are hunting squirrels by yourself and a treed squirrel keeps himself on the side of the tree that you are not on, take off your jacket and throw it to the other side of the tree. And be ready to make your shot, because that bushytail will come around in a hurry.2.) If you have a woods with a healthy amount of grey squirrels, keep an eye on the red squirrel population. Red squirrels will overtake sections of woods and "bleed" grey squirrels out of it. Their method: castration. Red squirrels will chase grey males and once in a battle, castrate them. So make sure you harvest reds along with greys.Whitetail Deer:If you find an area in a hardwoods forest (oaks are best) that exhibits a considerable amount of grey squirrel activity, consider hunting in that area for whitetail deer. Squirrels and whitetails often share the same taste in living quarters.Ringneck Pheasants:1.) When wingshooting pheasants, many poeple take the entire bird's length into account when leading them, and end up shooting behind them. Some old roosters get tails longer than 24 inches (some upwards of 30 inches). Remember to keep your eye on the red eye patch and forget about the tail. 2.) When shooting at a pheasant flying away from you, make sure you see the whole bird on top of your bead. When shooting a pheasant flying toward you, block out the bird with your barrel. Mike RossLife Member, NAHCMember, National Rifle AssociationMember, Meeker Co. Historical Society

·
Registered
30 Posts
These tips come from my friends who have been hunting forever. At least so it seems.Know the habits of the game you are hunting. This is actually un for me, since I like to read up on animals and exchange stories of encounters with my friends.Know the terrain that you hunt in. Not just the immediate area, but the area your hunting grounds come in contact in. The location of abandoned apple orchards (we have lots of those here), farms that might provide food, stands of evergreens that may provide cover, streams, etc.Keep your gear in good condition.With respect to deer hunting, remember that deer can appear anytime, anyplace, where you least expect them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On all my weapons that use a detachable clip I take it out and paint the part that goes up inside the gun with spray paint. Blaze orange.As long as it's in the gun nobody can see it. If ya happen to have it out and hear any wise cracks, grab their mag and throw 'em both out in the yard about dusk.:rollin Doubt you'll hear any more about the paint. --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

·
Registered
86 Posts
A tip for whitetail that I've learn the hard way. No matter how good of a shot you are, how powerful the caliber you hunt with, how hard a deer is hit or even if the deer falls in its tracks, GIVE THE DEER TIME AND DON"T PUSH IT. I've seen does and bucks drop get and run like their on fire with no explainable reason for them to still be alive. A deer is one tough mother. Giving game time shows them the respect they deserve and will help you bring home the bacon. I give them at least 20-30min and that is only if they drop in their tracks.Huntin' Deer Since I Was Knee-High To Grass Hopper!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
This one is especially good in cornrows or if you are without canine assistance. When you get into a spot where you suspect a bird is holding, even a large general area, stop walking every dozen yards or so and just stand for 15-20 seconds. This is usually enough to panic an otherwise cagey bird. When you stop, they think you've spotted them, and instead of holding they flee. Doing this even when you think there are no birds around might suprise you, because there always seems to be one hiding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a small game tip. When squirell hunting i rub to pennys together to call in squirells. I think they think its a squirell eating nuts or something. Another tip is I keep some rocks in my pocket and if a squirell runs around the opposite side of the tree I throw a rock and the squirell comes around to my side.HeavyChevyLM NAHCFounding member HHHwww.hhh-usa.org

·
Registered
111 Posts
for cleaning any birds, turkeys,pheasants, whatever. get a pair of shears from gerber. can cut right through the bones and neck. it makes things so much easier than a hunting knife. can clean a pheasant in about two minutes. "The early bird gets the worm ,but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
My advice for Ruffed Grouse and other upland bird hunting is the same as JackRyan's advice for fishing: spend your time in the woods and not in the gunshop. In addition to that, I would say: practice shooting. Skeet and Sporting Clays are a good start but they are primarily games and they get pretty predictable if you do it enough. I got a couple of hand throwers from Orvis about 15 years ago that was the best money I ever spent on a gadget. It is a spring steel, "Y" shaped thingy that's mounted on a golf club shaft. They come in three lengths and the longest one launches the clays at like 100 mph (you read that right). I have two and I go out with a buddy and we take turns trying to make the other miss. You can change your grip and put "english" on it to make the clay rise and fall, bank, dip-- whatever. They force you to learn to get on target quickly and be prepared for your target to do anything. If they still sell them, go get one or two.For deer hunting: it's best to avoid falling asleep on stand--especially if you snore. Ask me how I know this.

G

·
this is from my dad on shooting, in terms of gagets and new guns:
"If you can hit with the K-mart special $89 mossberg then use it, dont bother, weather you can afford it or not, to get and use anything different."
I have one for you:
"look at what the old time hunters are using, and what they are doing. Are they wearing gore tex or wool, shooting a 35 year old gun or a new one every year, thats what they have figured out over all of those years so you should save yourself the trouble, time and money and do as they do."

·
Registered
518 Posts
For Duck Hunting, my #1 tip is: Go Where The Ducks Want To Go. :?

Last year I watched ducks landing in the middle of a marsh while guys were posted around the easier edges, not getting any shooting. I got tired of watching that, hoofed it out the middle where the birds wanted to be and shot 4 ducks in the next hour. Duh.

Most guys don't want to put in the effort or think ducks are stupid and will go anywhere you put decoys out. God gave us, or at least some of us, brains. I think.

G

·
I am a keen hunter with my pre charged air rifle. has any body got any tips they could give me as to shootin grey "bush tails"

cheers Reed (16)
derbyshire... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts