Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I'll fill it up if I can figure out how to use it.Mainly deer, a few turkey tips. ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---Edited by: JackRyann at: 12/8/02 10:55:04 pm
 

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Number one tip for all hunting and fishing was given to me by a pro fisherman at a Gurney Mills exhibition. I was watching all these demos and equipment shows, displays and stuff.At a little lull between the action I got one of those guys aside a little who appeared to me to really know what he was talking about. I ask him,"Ya know, I'm a working guy and I can't afford to buy all this stuff just to find the one or two that really work. If you had to pick one thing here today, what should I get to help me catch more fish?"He then gave me the absolute very best advice I've ever gotten.He said, "Well, you can't get it here. The one truely secret ingredient that will help you catch more fish and therefore MORE BIGGER fish is MORE TIME ON THE WATER. KEEP YOUR BAIT WET. Instead of spending all day wandering around here listening to these guys blabber and buying up all these lures, get a handfull of whatever looks good to you and get out of here and ON THE WATER."Since that day I've tried to apply that single strategy over and above all others in fishing OR hunting. Any strategy or product that interferes with that primary principle deserves serious consideration and evaluation for the value of continueing it.With that in mind every other piece of advice should be considered at best a distant 2nd.JPR ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---
 

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
BP rifle tips.When in storage make sure the rifle muzzle is lowest. This keeps any oil from collecting at the point of intial ignition. This alone will eliminate 90% of all misfires.When loading up for hunting, fire a coupl caps first on an MT barrell to clear any oil or obstructions. This will eliminate 90% of the remaining 10% of misfires.Make sure you are using good fresh caps. Get new ones and throw any left overs away from the previous year. They don't cost THAT much. RWS caps normally fit pretty tight on the nipple but if they don't or if you use CCI caps give each one a little squeeze to make them tight on the nipple. Other wise they will tend to fall off and result in a childish fit upon the buck of a lifetime laughing his big white butt off at you as he runs away.On a Hawken rifle at least, be very careful, but hold the trigger back when setting the hammer in order to do it silently.Buy one of those fiber glass ramrods to use when hunting. You cut them to fit your rifle. They are all long when you get them. Cut it so it sticks out about an inch or so longer than the end of your rifle. That way you can set the muzzle end down and not fill the barrel up with dirt or debris.Drill a shallow hole in the side of your ball starter the size of your ram rod. That way you can use the ball starter as a handle. It makes a big difference when you do a lot of shooting like when sighting in or just plinking with friends. They'll all be grab'n your "handle" 'afore the day is over and they have blisters in their palms.( of course if they don't get blisters that must mean they have another activity they participate in regularly to toughen up that part of their hand! Ha ha) ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---Edited by: JackRyann at: 12/20/02 3:03:50 am
 

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
On all my weapons that use a detachable clip I take it out and paint the part that goes up inside the gun with spray paint. Blaze orange.As long as it's in the gun nobody can see it. If ya happen to have it out and hear any wise cracks, grab their mag and throw 'em both out in the yard about dusk.:rollin Doubt you'll hear any more about the paint. --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top