Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a youth model NEF Pardner in 28 gauge for my wify. The whole gun is only 3' long. She loves this little gun. As matter of fact, I may go and get the topper version for myself. So far, I love this little gun. We have only put one box of shells through it, but I can already see it's gonna be a fun little gun. The only problem that I see is shell selection. So far, I have been able to locate # 7 1/2, 8, and 9 at my local wallymart. Does anyone know where I might find some # 4 or #6? I think it would make a pretty decent rabbit or squirrel gun if I could find the right shells. It sure is a sweet shooter. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Winchester, Federal and Kent/Gamebore all make 28 gauge shells with #6 shot but that's the largest I've seen. I think if you larger shot you are going to have to handload it.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update on the wify's gun. After shooting a few boxes of shells, she tells me this little gun kicks her a mite to much. We are looking for a replacement for her. I still like it a bunch. I will most likely just make this my knock around gun for the farm. I am not knocking the gun at all, it was my fault in choosing it for her. I was told by several people here that it would not make her a good gun. Live and learn and learn to listen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why don't you just get some light field loads and a Sims slip on recoil pad for it? That will make it a pussycat to shoot!!!....<><.... :D

If that does not work out would you be interested in swapping the 28 gauge barrel for a .410 barrel?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the offer, but I am going to keep it for me. To me it's a nice pea shooter. Just a lil bit much for her. I have a list a mile long on what I would like to have. Most of them aren't that expensive, I just need to keep saving those pennies just a tab bit longer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have the 28 gauge pardner,I replaced the hard factory buttplate with a recoil pad I ordered from Numrich arms for a few dollars,made it much more pleasant to shoot.As for shells,#6 seems to be about the largest shot size that is readily available,I am going to get a few boxes of Fiocchi 28 gauge shells next week and will see if they make any with say #5 shot but I am not sure if they do.Possibly if you want to shoot 4 or 5 shot then handloading might be the only way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought it would. Gonna get a recoil pad of some sort.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Winchester offers No. 5 shot in their Super-X 28 gauge loads, which hold 1 oz of shot. They kick harder than the usual 3/4 oz shells, so your wife is not going to enjoy them either. Remington and Federal both offer 3/4 oz of No. 6 in the 28 gauge. In my experience, No. 6 works fine for squirrels and 7-1/2 is a good rabbit killer.

If you can swing it, look for a used Remington 1100 in 28 gauge. I started my kids on one and it is the mildest kicker around.

Dan

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You could try using the 28 gauge 2 1/2 inch shells manufactured by Rio and Gamebore.These shotshells have a half ounce of shot.The recoil would be less than the 2 3/4 inch 3/4 or one ounce loads.

Challenger manufactures 28 gauge shotshells with number 4 shot.There are some in my area that like to use number 4 in their 28 gauges for rabbits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also the Winchester SuperX for $11.99.

I realize there isnt a BPS on ever corner.

the AA's are 7 1/2 and the Super X 6's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Poodaddy said:
I just bought a youth model NEF Pardner in 28 gauge for my wify. The whole gun is only 3' long. She loves this little gun. As matter of fact, I may go and get the topper version for myself.

Take it afield. Easy carry, quick in close, safe, accurate, you'll both fall in love again. A little lead in stock, recoil pad,low brass loads should tame it. Getting 25-06 & 12gage barrels for my kids sb2.Maybe a new stock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a NEF Pardner SB1 in 28 gauge its fine for busting clays and a good small game gun I think it has very lite recoil but then I shoot shotguns a lot.Mine is standard length pardner with a 26 inch barrel modified choke wich may be anougther reason it does not kick much one thing is for sure it kicks a lot less than my 20 gauge Pardner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts