Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, bought myself a new 20 ga 11-87 cantilever barrel and installed a 1.75-4 bushie banner scope on it...The guys at the gun shop told me most guys are throwing Remington Buckhammers in 2 3/4" loads through these barrels.

I was concerned about the lead from the slugs in the grooves, but they say it's easier to clean lead than plastic???

What do you people think??

Thank You :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deerbuster: I don't want to get the grooves plugged up with unwanted material to hamper accuracy...

What is the best way to remove debris in the grooves??

I bought a Tornado brush for that barrel, but I'm not sure now that the tight windings will clean the grooves?

·
Registered
402 Posts
livtohunt said:
...snip...

What is the best way to remove debris in the grooves??

...snip...
Bronze bristle brush with good solvent (not copper solvent, regular Shooters Choice is my choice) with plenty of elbow grease and patches , soak time and cleaning cycles.

If it is full rifled then try a sabot load, plastic comes out easier than lead in my experience.

I use a smoothbore canitlever 11-87 with a rifled choke so my rifling is only 4" long, easier to clean when there is less to clean. Groups under 2" with Brenekke MP

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does G-96 work on removing lead or plastics at all??

I had been shooting Remington Cooper solids out of my 870 rifled barrel with decent success, but the guys at the gun shop swore that the Buckhammers were the way to go..

I was thinking the same as you that plastic would be easier to remove than lead.. :roll:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also, lemme add, I haven't shot any buckhammers before, but shooting foster slugs out of my rifled barrel was the worst mistake of my life. I spend about 2 hours cleaning it that day, and some lead is still in the grooves!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deerbuster:
Also, lemme add, I haven't shot any buckhammers before, but shooting foster slugs out of my rifled barrel was the worst mistake of my life. I spend about 2 hours cleaning it that day, and some lead is still in the grooves!!!
So, how does one tell, if there is lead in the grooves of the rifling?? That's all I need to have them fouled up?? :evil:

[/quote]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will a wire bore brush work effectively with solvents or should a person wrap steel wool inside the bristles with cleaner to get into the grooves of the rifling....

I'm a newbie to the rifled barrels, so I appreciate your answers :D

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It isn't a rifled barrel, but the sticky of cleaning the 1100 type gun is very informative with pic's. The brush used to loosen up and clean the smooth bore will also work for your rifled barrel. Running the patches through to clean the fowling will look the same. It isn't all that complicated.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=91897

·
Registered
402 Posts
Deerbuster said:
Why would it be cantilever if it isn't rifled? ...snip...
Remington sells a smoothbore cantilever barrel for 1187. It is marketed as a turkey/deer barrel for use with a screw-in turkey choke. You can also screw-in an extended RIFLED choke and get excellent accuracy with certain slugs, full diameter with attached base. It also works well with Foster type slugs at shorter ranges. This barrel allows more usefulness than a fully rifled barrel does.

I have a smoothbore cantilever barrel and use it with a screw-in Remington rifled choke and get great results with Brenekke MP or KO slugs

3-shots, 100 yards, rested.

Pic of the gun and a Doe taken at 95yds, second shot was to hasten its harvest.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Schnabel: Thanks for that info!! I wsn't aware that Remingtom sold a Cantilever smooth bore barrel for that gun...

I'm not at all used to guns in general with scopes attached to hit game as I've been along time user of smooth bore with a sight on the end of the tube, as we hunted waterfowl for many years, and now playing with the big boys chasing whitetail...

It has been so frustrating for me, trying to get used to a shotgun with a scope, (and I'm not proud to say) but I missed 4 deer on our just passed Controlled deer hunt...that I'm determined to be ready for next years hunt....

I have been thinking of buying a smooth bored barrel and a receiver mount for a scope for my new 1187-20, so I can still use the barrel for upland or ducks without the scope....but wanted to try shooting that setup with the scope attached and hit clay targets....something moving as I really need help....it's embarrasing to say the least!!!

You should hear the guys in my group laugh after I tell them I miss another....as they are all used to shooting scoped guns..

Any ideas for this desperate shooter?? :oops:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buck Fever huh??

I don't notice that before and during the shot, that I'm any more excited than during a volley of birds coming into the spread of dekes and I take my share in the fields......

so I'm not sure what it is other than frustration....

I see the target in the scope, although I usually don't see the crosshairs at all due to dark lines on crosshairs and dark body on deer.....so I was told to fill the glass with the target and touch it off.....

:? and I still miss like a champ

I though maybe shooting a scoped smooth bore at clays....not sure if it will work, but had thought if I could hit the odd clay target flying then surely it has to help me in the woods for deer?? Just not sure if it will work though???

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Well if you can hit the broad side of the proverbial barn before the hunt, but miss when it comes to deer then you have what is referred to as buck fever. If you can't hit squat before hunting and after hunting you'd better start practicing because your not going to hit while hunting.

Scope and a smooth bore :? :roll: You have the set up now, just fine tune it. Get a shot barrel for some bird action and have yourself an all purpose combo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, maybe it is buck fever...as the gun is hitting the mark off the rest....I had thought it was me not being used to scopes that was causing me to miss. :D

The same as anything.....practise make perfect or closer to it!!!

Thanks All

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.