Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a shotgun and its my first it came with 2 barrels a rifled one for deer slugs and a 28" choked barrel for birds.
my question is what type of shot should i use for the rifled barrel and should this barrel be choked? also what should i use for pheasant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
question 2 the weapon is a win 1300 combo with 2 3/4" - 3"
should rifled slugs be used in a rifled barrel? what the best shot for sporting clays and what type of choke for clay birds?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rifled barrels are made for sabot slugs. They are generally more accurate than smoothbores. They usually work poorly with rifled slugs. Smoothbores work best with rifled slugs, the Brenneke types work well in most of them. Sabot slugs work poorly in smoothbores, mostly because without the spin imparted by the rifling, the sabots do not come off consistantly, and accuracy suffers. Do not use shot, or buckshot, in the rifled barrel. The spin will spoil the patterns.
The choke you use for clay sports will depend upon which game you shoot. As far as shot size for sporting clays, #8's will break any sporting clays target. The rabbit target presented on edge, is the hardest target to break, but at most ranges it will break well with a 28 ga., and #8's, and a modified choke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.