Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked into buying one last year and passed. They said they had a handful left but were stopping production, anyone know if this is true? Also what happened to the ultra light?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can not comment on the current production of the 16 ga. I do know that the Italian manufactures of 16 ga. Over Unders only make a few runs a year because they have to retool and wait until there enough orders or demand for them. Maybe there is some similarity? I sure hope they didn't stop making the 16.

I do know they stopped production of the ultralights. I called a couple of months ago asking if there was anyway I could purchase a 12 ga Ultralight. Or even just the receiver. The answer was there were none left but they showed up on gunbroker once in awhile and that would be my best bet. And it was, took awhile but I did finally find a 12 ga. Ultra almost NIB on gunbroker. From what I can find there was only something like four 16 ga. Ultralights made in Ohio. Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I needed, or at least want, 2 mid beads for my Ohio made guns so just called Ithaca and talked to Zach. while I was on the phone I asked about the 16 ga. They have about 15 16 ga. in stock yet. Once they are gone they will temporarily suspend production of further ones. They have some parts and raw materials to keep making them but the demand just isn't there for the 16 and he said they have a lot more pressing needs right now. So guess the answer is no and yes.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
den9 said:
Thank you. I called last year they said they had 9 or so left. I wonder how it swings, its not much lighter than their 12
I handled one at Field and Stream, and compared to my 1965 16 gauge Model 37, the new one felt like a boat anchor. I think part of the problem with their sales is because they are such a heavy gun now since they are built differently than the older models.

If you don't mind the weight, I think they are still a great pump gun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Halwg said:
den9 said:
Thank you. I called last year they said they had 9 or so left. I wonder how it swings, its not much lighter than their 12
I handled one at Field and Stream, and compared to my 1965 16 gauge Model 37, the new one felt like a boat anchor. I think part of the problem with their sales is because they are such a heavy gun now since they are built differently than the older models.

If you don't mind the weight, I think they are still a great pump gun.
Hmm, do you know what the old one weighs?

·
Registered
621 Posts
My 16 ga. 1949 26" with plain bbl. and no recoil pad comes in at 6 pounds 3 oz. 1962 37RVD with 28" vent rib bbl, recoil pad, highly figured dense wood comes in at a few oz. under 7 pounds. But for sustained lead on clay targets is great. I think most of the new 16 ga. Ohio guns come in around 7 lbs. 4 oz. depending on wood and bbl. length.

Playing around with my 12 ga. Ultralight what I found was that a 28" fixed choke VR Roto forged barrel is 4 oz. lighter than a 26" Ohio made Choke Tubed VR barrel. And a 30" Ohio 12 ga. bbl. is a full half pound heavier than a 26" Ohio bbl. There are several factors with the weight and balance but I think the barrels are one of the largest weight gainers.

Picked up a first year 1978 20 ga. Ulralight a couple of weeks ago. At $248 couldn't pass it up, comes in at 5 pounds 4 oz. It handles better than I thought it would with the 25" bbl. but the thought of purchasing an Ohio made 26" 20 ga. bbl. to improve handling has already crossed my mind. But shoot the 16 ga. a lot more than 20 ga. anymore so have a hard time justifing it.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Interesting to read all your experiences with the new/old 16ga. guns. The basic appeal of the 16 has always been that, if done right, it "weighed little more than a 20 but hit like a 12" - at least for upland shooting. The gun builders don't seem to get that lightness is an important part of the equation, and then they wonder why there is little enthusiasm for their offerings. There is an admittedly small, but enthusiastic 16ga. market segment - still large enough to justify marketing to -but they know what they want! Unfortunately, the builders aren't listening.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nesto said:
Interesting to read all your experiences with the new/old 16ga. guns. The basic appeal of the 16 has always been that, if done right, it "weighed little more than a 20 but hit like a 12" - at least for upland shooting. The gun builders don't seem to get that lightness is an important part of the equation, and then they wonder why there is little enthusiasm for their offerings. There is an admittedly small, but enthusiastic 16ga. market segment - still large enough to justify marketing to -but they know what they want! Unfortunately, the builders aren't listening.
The new sweet sixteen is light, but the quality is lacking. No character either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.