Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Very nice! I recently picked up a Model 21 Skeet 16ga at a local auction. Serial number puts mine at 1935 production but letter shows ship date in 1941. My first and probably only 21 and checked off a bucket list item for me.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
From its serial number my 16-gauge Model 21 Skeet Gun should be 1946/7 but letters to 1941.

There seems to be a goodly number of 16-gauge Model 21 Skeet Guns around, but even though the Model 12 Skeet Gun was a catalog item in 16-gauge from the 1933 to 1950 Winchester catalogs, they sure don't seem to surface very often.

·
Registered
71 Posts
While the quality is there, best is very subjective. Boss, Purdey etc. it's easy to get in to 6 figures. British best, that's the creme de la creme in shotguns. The Winchester 21 is quite plebian comparatively, not that I would kick one off the trap field mind you. :)

·
Registered
Too many
691 Posts
Best in what way is the question? Balance, finishing, engraving? Or which one can handle a million rounds? I promise you that a 21 will fire ten times the amount of rounds that a Purdy will before needing some type of mechanical attention. Not being argumentative and would certainly take a Purdy or Boss over what is a tree trunk compared to them but as far a mechanical durability I doubt there’s a sxs built anywhere that can handle the punishment of a 21.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
An undeniable aspect of Winchesters in general and Model 21's in particular
is that they were made in America by Americans for Americans.

I really like the horsey!

" Merica, Nuff said ".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts