Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up yesterday. It’s hardly been shot and never cleaned.
Very difficult to remove the trigger. Been a long time since I’ve cleaned a 390.
Took forever to get bolt put back in. Any tricks to doing it?
Finally got it all back together and the trigger didn’t work.
Then I remember about the pin in the trigger. It had fallen out, but I found it.
Now the trigger works!
Wood Rectangle Font Gun accessory Hardwood

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Great gun but IMO a royal PITA to clean. I found the 303 much easier to maintain.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Almost, this is a 26” barrel
I have a 391 Urika with a 26" bbl that I will never ever sell. I also have a rifled slug bbl with the cantilever and a 20" smooth bore bbl with ghost rings that I use for IPSC. One gun that does it all. I shot about 15k rounds of ISSF skeet through it before I moved on to my O/U. Coles used to sell a spare parts kit for the 390 and 391. It does not show up on their web site any more but I would give them a call and ask if they cannot put the same package for you to squirrel away in the event you ever need it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I hear ya about being a PITA to thoroughly clean. I have a 390AL in 20 ga. It started out as a youth model with a 25" barrel for my son. I later added a 28" barrel and a longer recoil pad to make it fit an adult. It rarely gets used but I did let a young lady use it to take her first tom turkey last month. It's in great shape and I mostly keep it to let someone use it on skeet that is a little recoil sensitive. I'm not a fan of the clang/clang sound of the Beretta autoloaders. In my younger days I shot an 1100 and that was a thunk/thunk when fired. I recently fired a friend's Beretta A400 and again found the clanging annoying and distracting.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Beretta makes some awful good autoloaders. I've owned a 391 and a 390, as well as some other quality brands. I prefer the 390, followed by a 303. My 391 never failed me, but I didn't really shoot it heavily and only had to deal it the valve spring hassle one time.

Oyeme...I'm curious specifically as to what you found so much more difficult to maintain in the 390 vs. the 303? I haven't owned, hence cleaned, a 390 in a long time (might acquire another though, or a 303). I'm pretty familiar with the 303, and as I recall, it differs from the 390 essentially only in the lack of the 390's valve spring, which in my recollection was not at all difficult to maintain...not like the 391 valve spring system was.

·
Premium Member
20,322 Posts
Picked it up yesterday. It’s hardly been shot and never cleaned.
Very difficult to remove the trigger. Been a long time since I’ve cleaned a 390.
Took forever to get bolt put back in. Any tricks to doing it?
Finally got it all back together and the trigger didn’t work.
Then I remember about the pin in the trigger. It had fallen out, but I found it.
Now the trigger works!
When removing the trigger assembly, be sure the hammer is cocked and the safety is on. Also, depress the carrier release button in the bottom of the receiver just in front of the trigger guard. Drive out the pin holding in the trigger assembly. Then pull downward and forward on the trigger guard in a "wiggling" motion to remove the trigger assembly. It may be kind of tight the first few times it's removed. It may also help to depress the bolt release button if the trigger assembly gets hung up.

To put the bolt back in, it's easier when the trigger assembly is OUT of the receiver. Stand the gun vertical with the recoil pad on your work bench and the muzzle end of the gun pointed up. Assemble the bolt onto the bolt slide and carefully slide it down into the receiver while holding the bolt onto the slide assembly. Look in through the open bottom of the receiver and guide the tip of the connecting rod (a.k.a. "link") into the little cup on the front end of the recoil spring. Once you've got it in place, you can insert the bolt handle into the bolt. You may need to retract the bolt about 1/4" to 1/2" to easily insert the bolt handle.

Now put the trigger assembly back into the receiver and install the cross pin that holds it in place. Now you can insert the barrel into the receiver, but first put the gas piston on its rod on the front end of the magazine. The open end of the piston faces the muzzle end of the barrel. Also, lock the bolt to the rear when installing the barrel.

Once you get the barrel in place, install the gas spring on the little rod with the flat piece covering the holes in the gas cylinder. Now you can slide the forend into place and install the forend nut to hold it on.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: DallasCMT

·
Registered
94 Posts
Coles still offers the spare parts kit.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Beretta makes some awful good autoloaders. I've owned a 391 and a 390, as well as some other quality brands. I prefer the 390, followed by a 303. My 391 never failed me, but I didn't really shoot it heavily and only had to deal it the valve spring hassle one time.

Oyeme...I'm curious specifically as to what you found so much more difficult to maintain in the 390 vs. the 303? I haven't owned, hence cleaned, a 390 in a long time (might acquire another though, or a 303). I'm pretty familiar with the 303, and as I recall, it differs from the 390 essentially only in the lack of the 390's valve spring, which in my recollection was not at all difficult to maintain...not like the 391 valve spring system was.

You are correct! I was thinking of the 391. Regardless of what others think, I hated cleaning that darn valve spring assembly and postponed it as long as I could. I also had to fix the carrier to get the very well known issue with it resolved.

I may be the only unhappy 391 user extant but I prefer the 303 and actually liked the B80 copy best.

The 303 is a breeze in comparison to the 391. Different strokes for different folks.

I never have used 3 inch ammo so swapping barrels was a non issue for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts