Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok does anyone reload 410 shells? Which powder is rcommended for shooting skeet.? It seems that Lil Gun is the new kid on the block but with the recent recall people are skeptical.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most of the 410 bore skeet shooters in our club use Winchester 296 powder. 14.0 grains drives 1/2 ounce of #9 shot around 1200 fps. The powder delivers consistant performance, but burns quite dirty.
I have heard some good things about Lil Gun and 410 powders, but have not tried either of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When it comes to reloading the 4-10 you don't have much choice when it comes to powder, about 3 or 4 and that's it. I've been shooting the 4-10 at chukars for about 15 years now and I use 296, but it is a little dirty. Like Jersey Hunter I got an 8 lb. keg and believe it or not I am finally about out. Jersey Hunter if the price plus postage is right I'll take it off your hands and you can try all the others. Also if anybody wants to part with 4-10 empty hulls, star crimp only, at a very reasonable price I'd be very interested, Wally World price of $9 to $10 a box hurts. ONLY good shots or Pollocks shot 4-10's. FOR A GOOD LAUGH try my website: print in at ADDRESS box : http://www.zplace2b.com and then click on THE POLISH CHUKAR HUNTER, and find out that pollocks really DO hunt!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I will be picking up 1 LB of 410 Alliant this weekend. Will post my reviews after I have tried it first hand. Click on the following links for additional 410 info. I just got my 410 and I can see that the 410 guys stick together. I will be shooting new factory AA HS 8-1/2 on the skeet field on Wednesday. Last week was the first day I picked up my 410 from layaway and shot three rounds of skeet good or better than my 12ga. What a great day!

http://shotgunsports.com/cgi-bin/webcha ... startnum=1

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sth ... messages=4

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have been loading the same thing SRichieR. I have been very pleased with the H110, AAHS and HS wads, and W209 primers. I tried a pound of the Aliant 410 and was a bit disapointed. It did not load up as well as I thought it would. If I was going ot use Aliant I would rather use 2400. But I really like the H110

Matt

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
I looked on the Hodgdon site and found lots of loads for the new HS hulls and several of the "old style" wads. I loaded up a box of the 3" HS hulls using IMR 4227 and PC Orange wads. Shot like a dream! I really didn't see any reason for needing the new Winchester HS wad only. I figured if Hodgdon is doing it and posting the information on the Web, it must be working! I found that with the HS hull it required about 1/2 to 1 more grain of powder than with the same load in the old one piece compression formed AA hull. But, to each his own, If you want to use "only" the new Winchester red HS wad, I can't fault that!

BP

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Have you handled the new HS wad. There very similar in stucture to a regular wad but The seem to be a few thousand larger in outside diameter and there are made from a much stiffer polymer. I always found that with the old 410 wads that the shot would wear holes in the fingers of the wads allow the shot to touch the barrel. This was somewhat solved using claybuster wads. The new HS wads are much tuffer there either of these wads and I have not had any holes in the fingers even with 1300fps loads. I am not saying you should have to use the new HS wads but they do seem to be very good quality wads and are working pretty well for me.

Matt

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
you will like the new alliant powder. the only thing i noticed about it is that you cannot download it. if it says 12 gr, 11.5 gr will sound weak and leave residue. this load must be recipe'd. it is much cleaner than 296. i am like many others, i have 8lb keg of lil gun, must burn it first, but will probably go to the 410 powder. i like the idea of american made stuff, especially when it is better. 296 is nasty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shoot surplus WC820 pulldown powder in my .410 loads. It loads just like H110. It is as dirty as 296 or lil' gun. The nice thing about it is that it is $48 for an 8 pound jug if you pick it up. Even if you have to pay hazmat and shipping it is still cheap. The last jug I got cost a bit less than $80 delivered. I've had very good success with it. You can buy it at:

www.gibrass.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been using H110 for my skeet loads for about a year with no problem.
It loads very well in a AA hull but the Remington hull does not load well as it leaves to mucn room in the case after the shot is loaded.

Don

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Remington hulls want IMR 4227 to get a good load. I don't care what the powder companies say, nothing works as good as 4227 in the Remington cases. Li'll gun is the worst. I don't like it in anything but .45 Colt.

BP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.