Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... I'm a new Mossberg 835 ulti-mag owner (the one with thumb hole in camo)... I must say that I'm fairly new to the world of hunting and I purchased the 835 from the suggestions of several other forums.

I'm looking to hunt turkey, pheasant, etc. with the gun. I also picked up a Savage 110 in 30/06 for deer season this year, maybe bear next.

At any rate - as I said, I'm fairly new to the world of hunting, so I'm not exactly sure what my best bet on ammo would be. Any suggestions from other owners? Will the stock setup be ok for turkey? It's the ulti mag, which is overbored.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes that gun is made strictly for turkey and will be great for you. Go to dicks and you can look at many different turkey loads priced around 10 dollars a box. I like Winchester xtended range but most will work fine. For pheasants this gun may give you trouble its not really built for upland hunting at all. Just use remington Express 2 3/4 inch shell with 6 shot and it will get you by.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
the best part is new barrels and stocks can be had for different game!!! welcome to the mossy family. enjoy!

·
Registered
921 Posts
You could but you might not do very well. As JCA said you can get new parts for it. I would recommend maybe getting a normal synthetic stock and a 28 inch barrel. It would make wing shooting and clays a world easier.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
im not sure im good enough to use a pump on doubles in skeet. i think that would be way hard but... maybe you want the challenge. could shoot 2 singles instead of doubles to start with. anyway nice gun for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it out today for the first shoot today. It was a blast! I just shot 2 sets of 4 shells at one of our standup targets over at the cabin.

Overall, the kick was pretty similar to the Savage 110 in 30/06 that I picked up for deer this year too.

I can't wait for turkey! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts