Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought my first firearm, a Remington 870 Express 12 ga. Can't wait to shoot it. I'm planning on using it for deer hunting this fall and would appreciate any input on the best slugs to load up with. Don't want to spend the extra $ on a rifled barrel for the thing and I don't handload. I'm thinking about a fully rifled choke tube so I can use sabots but would an inch and a half of rifling at the end of the barrel work better with sabots than with a rifled slug going out of a smoothbore? How about the rifled choke with the slugs? Any imput would be most helpful. Thanks.
-Doug[/img]

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
To my knowledge the rifled slug choke does not appreciably extend your range or benefit accuracy to the degree one might think it would. For smooth barrels I've shot Remington, Federal and Winchester loads. The ones that worked best for my 870 were the Remington Sluggers in 12 *****. As soon as I can find Remington's New Buckhammer slug I will try it.

You have to shoot each from your gun to see what works best.

I shot at a 9" paper plate from 25, 50, 75, 100 yards. If you can hit those then you have a pretty good shot at putting one in the vitals for a clean kill. Any thing over 100 and your getting pretty dicey with slugs.

Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts