Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
It does stand for High Strength, and they are more difficult to load. Well, maybe not more difficult, just different than the old AAs You can load them just fine if you do it right, but they are not very forgiving before they wrinkle!

BP

G

·
I have had a hard time loading the new AA HS 28 ga hull. I found that it is about 3/16" shorter than STS & old AA. The result is that I end up with a opening at the center of my crimp large enough to let the shot roll out. This does not happen with any other shell I load so I will Not load the new HS hull and will throw them in the trash as I find them.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Golly, Guest, throw them my way please! I just got a few boxes of them the other day and shot just a few and have loaded them and fired them a couple times already. They are great! I don't use the special new HS wads either. Yes, they are indeed a bit shorter. Is your press non adjustable? All I have to do is lower my crimp starter a little more and fine tune my final crimp plunger so it doesn't push the crimp down in the hull so far and I loading shells!! Come out just'bout perfect! I say again, toss them my way please!!

BP

·
Registered
520 Posts
Loaded up some shells over the weekend. Threw in a few "new" style AA (12 ga) just to see how they load. I was loading a mixed lot of hulls, some old style AA once fired, some twice fired, and some multi fired, oh and a couple of Remmington Gold hulls as well.

I mxed in about 10 new style AA and guess what......... They all loaded the same! The once fired hulls (both old and new) looked great. The only problem hulls were some multi fired hulls that I'm sure I have loaded at least 8 to 10 times. All of the others came out just fine with no adjustment to the loader at all.

I'm using a old MEC Grabber, loading clays powder with a claybuster wad (windjammer style) with 1 oz of shot. Wad presure looked to be about 35lbs. Again the only loads I have problems with were my multi fired hulls that did not like to hold a crimp and a couple that squished a little at the top on the final crip stage. All are still usable in an O/U. The old veteran hulls I will let hit the ground the next time I shoot.

As for the new AA hulls , looks to me like a lot of crabbing about nothing. You fella's who are having problems with these new hulls don't work for Remmington do ya??? :lol: :lol: I'm may have I just gotten lucky, but my load works well with the new AA hull. Any of you folks who just hate these new hulls just pack em up and send them my way! I'll be happy to give them a new home down here in Apex, NC !!!

:D :D :D
APEXDUCK

G

·
I tried to adjust the starter and final crimp to get a better load but it still did not close the hole in the middle of the crimp. I may have gotten 18 very short ones. Tried loading about 10 to 12 of them gave up. As I siad before I load all the other hull without changing setting so I will try a few more next time I get some but other than that, you pay the shipping and they are yours. I am not dead set against they, they just don't like my loader.

G

·
With new 20 HS hulls I increased my wad pressure to about 70# and now get great results...shot column was just a tad too high before. Have a box I've reloaded 6 times, hulls are nasty looking, but still holding up.

Now 410HS hulls are a different story.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
mismost;

What seems to be the problem with the HS .410s?

I picked up a box of 3" emptys a while back at a fun night at the trap range and they load up well in my 600 Jr. I use 4227 not 296 or li'll gun though. Didn't have enough bulk. Didn't use the MUST USE HS wads either.

BP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.