Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just purchased my first shotgun (well actually my first hunting shotgun - my first shotgun was an assult type shotgun). I bought this used, but I did not receive a manual with it.
The basic info:
1. 12 Gauge, over/under. The box label states it is a DIARM SA, AYA shotgun. On the barrel, it is stamped Savage AYA ~ "Aristocrat". The serial number on the gun matches that on the box.
2. It is set up for multichoke use.
3. While I realize that DIARMS was an amalgam of various spanish shotgun makers, supposedly of questionable quality, the gun appears to be a nice piece of goods, well fitted, with nice "production" engraving. The original owner claims he paid over $600 for it back in the 1980's. I paid him $200 for it.

Questions:
Can I shoot steel shot through all of the various chokes? My H&K Benelli has stamped imprints on the choke tubes and the full choke tube is stamped "No steel shot". All of the others are stamped "Steel shot OK." Does this mean one should not as a practice shoot steel shot through a full choke tube??

Is there a shot size restriction on full choke tubes? For exple, should one not shoot 00 Buck through a full choke?

There is a transverse pin on the trigger that can be clicked back and forth. Does the change the order of firing for the first shot out of the barrel or does anyone know what the purpose of this is? It is not a safety, that much I do know.

Where might I obtain an owners manual? I went to the Savage website, but they stated they no longer maintain this type of info on older, now out of production firearms. Also searched the web under "DIARM SA" and no luck.

Is there a good book for novice beginners that is highly recommended??

Thanks for your help

WBO

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
You can not shoot steel through the full.
Buck shot will give you tighter patterns if you use modified choke.
You can shoot most buckshot through a full choke.
I'm not that familiar with that gun so I can't help you there but I think that you should take a firearms safety course and a lot of your questions should be answered.
Have fun and be safe :) .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Whit,

I was in your position a few weeks ago in that the first O/U I bought was also used and had no manual.

But the beautiful thing about O/U's is that with minor differences, they all pretty much work the same way. I ended up reading manuals from other manufacturers to build up a general understanding of how to dissassemble, clean, etc.

That button on the trigger is indeed the barrel selector switch. I have the same setup on my O/U. It's a bit confusing at first, if you're used to the safety being there, like on a Remington.

I would do my best to get a definitive answer on which chokes can fire steel. For example, with Beretta Mobilchokes, you cannot shoot steel through the Full or Improved Modified.

Also, I agree with Clayshooter that most chokes can handle buckshot, but I was always under the impression that steadily feeding buckshot and/or slugs through some chokes will eventually destroy them as well as your barrel threads. Again, just something that would be nice to confirm.

I also tried to get information on my old O/U by contacting the original manufacturer and importers, but no luck. My advice would be to just ask your questions in as many places as you can, call up local gunshops and see if anyone is familiar with that gun. If you're lucky, you'll just happen across someone who can answer some of your questions. Out of all my posts, I finally got lucky with just one guy who had shot my O/U back in the seventies and was able to give me some valuable info...

I see you've tried Savage, but did you also try AyA - http://www.aya-fineguns.com/ingles/homer.htm?

You were also asking about a book for beginners. Are you talking about general shotgun shooting, or sport shooting?

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well SOME AyA's are incredibly fine and very expensive guns. I'm no expert on the Savage AyA though-- you can check the blue book (or someone in the gun ID and value forum here might do it for you) and surf around gunbroker and the other auction sites to see. I'm leery of the "Savage" appended to the AyA. $200 sounds quite resonable however, even if it's just a shooter in decent shape.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the help and ideas, I really appreciate the feedback.

My reference to a book in my initial posting was not clear. I was wondering if someone might recommend a good book on the basics of shooting clays as well as just good old shotgun common sense type stuff.

Again, thanks a bunch!

Whit

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Whit--

First, it's great having you here on Shotgunworld--I hope you'll come back often and let us know how it's all going. Lots of help from many excellent people on these boards, and the conversation is always interesting!

Here's an amazon link to a book on general shotgunning that I like, _Wing and Clay Shooting_, by Bob Knopf. It's not a PERFECT book, of course; there are things to pick at, but in general it'll get you started in an intelligent and useful way. It's also a concise and relatively inexpensive paperback. $19.95 new--some doof on Amazon is trying to sell a used one for $195.03; hopefully, it's a typo :lol: Knopf really has his moments of literary greatness; for example, he says, "When you're hitting targets, don't analyze your method." To me, this is right up there with _Hamlet_.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 48-3248832

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
For the curious....(From the Blue Book of Gun Values)

Current manufacturer established in 1917, and located in Eibar, Spain. Currently imported and distributed by Fieldsport, located in Traverse City, MI; New England Custom Gun Service, Ltd. (NECG), located in Plainfield, NH; John F. Rowe, located in Enid, OK; and by Anglo American Sporting Agency, located in Corona del Mar, CA. Previously imported by William Larkin Moore 1969-1978 (with Agoura, CA import marking) and 1978-1986 (with West Lake, CA import marking). Diarm also manufactured AYAs circa 1986-1988 in Eibar, Spain. Retail and dealer sales by importer and AYA select distributors.

AYA manufactured shotguns can be denoted by serialization. Serial numbers over 600,001 with barrel flats marked Arms de Chasse or Scotia Group are post-1988 AYA manufactured while specimens under 600,000 may have been manufactured by Diarm - Diarm manufacture is not covered by the AYA warranty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.