Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum so go easy if I break any protocols. I inherited a Browning A-5 from my grandfather, the serial number on the side is B26654 which if I am correct places its manufacturing date between 1940-46 by Remington. I have been told not to shoot steel out of it due to barrell damage, but my question is , could I buy a modern barrell that would allow me to shoot steal? I would really like to get an improved barrell for duck hunting. The current full choke is a bit too tight for the flooded timber hunting that I do. Thanks for any info and help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep, have exactly the same situation, A5, fixed choke, nonsteel capable. Great shotgun, but limited versatility - oops, lets say specialized…

Sure, modern barrels are available for A5 that shoot steel and changeable chokes- but salty, (see Browning.com) $300++. That's definitely an option, but would put one in the undesirable position of having more in the gun than it's worth…

I've come to the conclusion - Time (and progress) Marchs On!
The newer modern guns ARE improved, with multiple chokes, steel capable, better patterns, longer throws, more reliable quicker actions, better fitting, faster handling, and just MUCH more versatility.

I just no longer need 3 shotguns to cover my needs :
1) A NICE hi volume target and upland shooter….
2) A Long range Goose gun….
3) A Utility knock about field gun that really doesn't do anything very well…

I'm goin..
1. A First Class Hi volume shooter - that will do everything!
2. A Utility Knockabout that does everything very respectably!!!

I think I'm letting my somewhat specialized older gums hit the market. I've been lookin around, goin to gun shows and there sure is a lot a junk out there - and hi priced rusties, abused, and unreliables goin for MORE than new prices! I'm letting my good shootin, reliable, well maintained, somewhat specialized guns go to those who appreciate a well maintained specialized gun.

Time Marches On - especially with the versatility of newer modern guns….

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply BuckshotBob, your right, $300 is a bit more than I want to put into the gun so I guess I will keep it, pull it out once in a while and shoot a little lead thru it, maybe knock out a few peskey squirrels. Selling is not an option, Grandpa would probably come back and haunt me :!:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, JMCCOYB, your right, even if I were to put the new barrell on it, it would change the gun and all the fond memories that I have of Grandpa letting me TRY and hold it when it was way to heavy for me. It wouldn't be the same gun that spawned all those stories of him killing ducks and geese with. Thanks for reminding me that you shouldn't mess with history! I think I am going to like this shotgun board. :)

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
An alternative to putting the gun up is to use Bismuth or Kent Matrix shells. They are pricey but are safe to use in the A-5. Eco-shot, the makers of Bismuth, even have an ecologically minded paper hull that uses the old fiber card column and no shot cup. These may open the patterns enough to be a little more useful in the flooded timber. Ballistic Products sell both brands if they are not available locally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.