Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can buy an new 690 Black with Orange lettering for the same price as a Used Gold E. Has anyone had experience with both? Estestically, the 682 with the Saturn rings looks better than the orange lettering on the 690. Even though neither "do it for me". I think the weight of the 682 is a bit heavier (something I like) than the 690. The 682 has Optima, and the 690 has Optima HP Chokes...

I'm currently shooting a 1994 686 Onyx, so I'm not afraid of older guns, but looking to go to longer barrels

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
11,274 Posts
682 all day any day :) JMO

·
Registered
601 Posts
jml,
I have 2 682s, one of them is a Gold E and the other one is 26 years old. I wouldn't trade either one of them for a 690.

Chris

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I was shopping Beretta target guns about a year ago also. I considered both these models too. But, I ended up with a used 686 Sporting mostly because I'm cheap and got a great deal. I am shooting it well enough and may upgrade at some point, but at my current skill level the upgrade won't bring me any extra targets!

Mechanically I would prefer the 682. They are great guns. Optima vs. Optima HP is a non-issue. . .it's just a matter of where the threads are located on the HP, in case you just might happen to want to shoot lots and lots of very high pressure, very large, steel shot. Which most folks don't through their target guns.

If the 692's were proven bulletproof mechanically like the 682's have achieved, I might choose one. But for me that has not happened yet, even though many owners are happy with theirs. I do not doubt that there may be some handling characteristic advantages with 692, but the mechanical issues that have cropped up trump that for me. . .for now.

I did like the way the 692 handled and did not mind the orange at all, and liked the wood finish and quality. Many, many, noteworthy achievements have been reached with the 682. Hard to find fault with those.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
jml said:
...Even though neither "do it for me"....
Unless I am misinterpreting this statement, why not to try to find the one that does it for you? :) I mean, if you are to spend money and upgrade, what's the point of buying something that is so-so? Personally, I would rather get Onyx Pro - it is very similar to other Beretta O/Us and I like the look of it the most.

By the way, here are some choices in this price category:

https://www.proshootergear.com/blogs/shooters-blog/top-5-entry-level-sporting-shotguns

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree about the Onyx Pro's great looks. I got to look at one last weekend. A couple of things that have me leaning toward the 682 is Optima barrel, adjustable trigger, Palm swell, and the Polly finish. The 690 has the optima barrel, but it oil finished. I seem to find myself shooting in the rain more than I'd like and the poly finish gives me one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'd like to shoot a 690 and see how they shoot and feel, as a lefty it's always about the gun fit. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a new one, one thing that has me leary is the injector issue, which seems to have been solved, and also the top tang screw breaking off. Which seems to be far less of an issue now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts