Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new Extrema this past weekend (early Christmas present!!) and took it out to pattern it. I found that with steel, it shot about 80/20 high and to the left at 30 yards. If the pattern was not to the left I would be happy because I believe it would be about 60/40 high if centered. I have seen a few posts regarding this topic, but not alot of details regarding what Beretta has done to fix this problem for thier customers. I emailed Beretta and am waiting for a response. I am a die hard Browning fan (own 2 BPS's and a Gold Deer Hunter) and am wondering if I should have stuck with them! Does anyone have experience dealing with this problem?

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
Without more details of EXACTLY what you are doing when the gun "shoots to the left", we have no way of knowing if it's a problem with the gun, gun fit problem, or pointing/shooting error.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was shooting free hand at 30 yards with no cross wind, or any wind for that matter. The gun has the factory stock shims in it. This seems to fit me correctly as when I pull up with my eyes closed I am looking right down the center of the ramp without having to adjust. I shot my BPS and found it to be center of POA. I am 99.9% sure it is not me pulling the gun. I shot 6 times and every time the pattern was in the exact same place. Will adjusting the shims make a difference? Seems to me it wouldn't because I am going to want to look down the center of the ramp no matter what and if I move the shims it may just make it pull up unnatural for me.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
If you carefully aimed at the target with the front bead centered on the rib and with only the very slightest of the top of the rib showing, and if you carefully squeezed the trigger so that the trigger pull did not throw off your aim, then perhaps it IS a gun problem. How far to the left of the aim point was the center of the pattern?

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Does it do it with different steel loads? Does it do it with more than one tube? I would try a few things. Try bench shooting/shooting of a rest first and see where you are. Also have some one else shoot the gun both free hand and off the bench. If they shoot to the center and you don't. It's a fit issue. Play with the shims to see if that helps. If after adjusting the stock and you still shoot left get a hold of Beretta. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to try again tonight. I will try another type of ammo and shoot off a bench. How hard is it to change out the stock shims? It does not look bad from the manual, but it recommends a gunsmith. I spoke with Beretta today and they want me to send the gun in with a description of the problem and what I want it to do. They will adjust the ramp and stock to fix the problem if need be. I hate the fact that I just spent $1000 and I have to now give up the gun for 2-3 weeks, may not get it back in time for the late season, take the time and money to ship! The pellet concentration seems to be about 10"-15" up and to the left of center. There are pellets that are around my POA, but the center is up and to the left.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
slednut3 said:
There are pellets that are around my POA, but the center is up and to the left.
If you have carefully fired 6 shots at pattern paper, then you should be able to give us at least an approximate figure for HOW MUCH left of center the pattern is. Just saying that it is "up and to the left" is not much help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The center of pattern with Winchester Xpert 1 1/8oz #2 steel shot with a mod choke at 30 paces is 10 inches to the left and 8 inches up...everytime. I shot it again last night free hand and off a bench and without fail it was in the same place everytime. I tried Federal shells in the same size and found that the pattern did move toward center more...maybe 2" each way, but still not perfect. No offense, but the answers I have been getting from all of you are that it is me and not the gun. News flash, it ain't me! I did not realize Beretta fans were so dam protective! I guess what I was looking for is answers from those that have said they had the same problem and what they did, or ideas about how the stock adjustment may or may not help.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
No need to get so defensive, Slednut. We are just trying to help you. People come on this site all the time and ask questions about how their new gun is screwed up in some way. Almost invariably they claim (initially) to be doing everything right. Yet, after repeated requests for more DETAILS of EXACTLY what they are doing, it is discovered about 80% to 90% of the time that SHOOTER ERROR is the cause of the problem. Don't be so quick to be critical of people trying to help you. We have no way of knowing whether you know how to shoot a gun or not. Many people THINK they know how.

From the information you have finally provided, it appears that the gun is shooting too far away from the POA to be considered within "manufacturing tolerances", IMO. Contact Beretta and tell them of your problem. Good luck.

BTW, stock adjustment will have no measurable effect on the pattern placement if what you are telling us about how you shot the gun is correct.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for getting testy. I am just frustrated with spending this kind of money and getting a bad deal. I just feel like I spent my hard earned money and now I have to spend my time and more money to get what I paid for! I am going to try a different stock shim and see what that does for me. If it does not help then I guess it is off to Beretta it goes. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
To find the true source of the problem. You must go through a process of elimination.
The shims are a good place to start. They are not hard to change. It just takes a little time to find the right one. Take the tools needed with you so you can change them out while you are patterning the gun.

If the gun still shoots left, send it to Beretta. This is not a new issue for them and I would hope they will make things right for you in a timely manner. If you do send it in, keep us posted on how things are going and the end result.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beretta emailed me today and said that this is not a common problem regardless of what I have seen in a forum and is typically fixed through adjustment of the shim. We will see. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slednut3, I had a similar problem with my Xtrema. I contacted Beretta and spoke with one of their gunsmith rep. The rep was very nice and very helpful. I explained how the gun was patterned and I'd already changed the shims with no improvement as far as POA.

He mentioned gun fit could be the problem and I may need to seek help from a local smith. I informed him that I was shooting the gun from a rest so fit isn't the problem.

He then mentioned something about the choke threads (possible) and if this was the case they could recut and fix. He said it would be better to send the gun to them with a note explaining the problem and that they would fix it and ship it back.

My next question was the turn around time. The rep stated it takes about 15 days after receipt. I told him I had just recently purchased it and did not want to part with it in the middle of the season. I asked if I could purchase or try another barrel. After the rep reviewed their inventories he stated no barrels were available. So my option was to send it back to them to be fixed. I can't remember if it was me or him suggesting I check with the dealer I purchased it from to see if the dealer would allow me to try another barrel.

Once I arrived home I contacted Bass Proshop and spoke with the same gentlemen that sold it to me. After explaining the problem and what Beretta had stated he asked if he could call me back after he has spoken with his manager. A few minutes later and I received a call back and he tells me his manager said they would change it out for me.

Let me tell you from that point Bass Proshop became my favorite outdoor store. I'm not saying the others are not great its just how the Bass Proshop staff treated me which was great! They held one back especially for me until I could get back up to the store the upcoming weekend. When I arrived no questions asked they exchanged it, did the paperwork and I was on my way back home with another new Xtrema.

I did not hesitate to assemble the new gun and pattern it. This one shot to the POA. I love my Beretta Xtrema and Bass Proshop. The Gentlemen at Bass Proshop stated they were going to send the other one back to Beretta.

The truth is both companys were very helpful and understanding but Bass Proshop went the extra distance for me and for that I very very grateful and a loyal customer from now on. :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went through a similar thing with my 687 SP II concerning point of impact. If you are aiming the gun like a rifle and shooting off a rest then it is likely the barrel or choke tube threading. Changing stock shims likely won't do too much if that is the case. A real bonus in situations like this is if you have a good dealer that sold you the gun, they can often get you better service than if you just dealt with the company yourself. In my case the dealer could not care less that my gun didn't shoot straight and said if I have a problem with it I could contact the Canadian distributor. :roll: If the gun still does not shoot straight when carefully shooting off sandbags like a rifle it SHOULD go back to Beretta. :evil: This problem IS more common than Beretta is admitting, I am proof of this as are many others on this board. A new barrel or gun is in order IMO. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for the info on your experiences with this problem. I purchased the gun at Gander Mountain and I know this particular model was the last one they had in stock. I called yesterday and they had told me that they would have to treat it as a used firearm if I brought it back. I did not explain the situation to them so maybe they would allow me to bring it back under those circumstances. I would have to take a 26" barrel version instead of the 28" if I exchanged. I am going to do some more testing with different chokes and loads this weekend. If I can get a satifactory pattern with an IC choke then it will get be through the late season and then I will send it in. I may also get a barrel for my Browning Gold Deer stalker and use that if I cannot get a good pattern out of this gun. I knew I should have bought a Browning anyway!!!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
:arrow: I patterned my new 391 Sporting Barrel w/extended Optima choke tubes this past weekend. It shoots a 60/40 pattern w/50mm shim & Fed Promo 1oz 1290fps #8shot.
I tried some steel BB's, 2's & 4's. The Kent Fasteel bb's shot low/left; The #4 shot 2.75" Estates made a beautiful pattern.
:wink:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I had the opportunity to do some testing with lead, a couple types of steel, a Mod and IC choke, and a couple of distances. I shot off a bench at 30 yards with no wind for the majority of my shots. Using steel, #2, 1 1/8 oz Federal and Winchester, the center of patter with a Mod choke was 8 inches to the left and 6 inches high. This pattern was extremely tight for that distance, I would say 80+% shot within a 12-15 inch circle. I then tried a lead #4 Remington shell. This shot was good, with the center of impact being only about 2" high and 1"2" to the left. I then tried the IC choke with steel. This gave me a pattern that was centered again to the left, but the pattern opened up enough to provide a solid 30" circle that covered both sides of my POA. I then tried a few shots at 45 yards. The IC choke opened up way too much for this distance with several holes in my pattern. Finally, I had a friend of mine shoot at 30 yards and his pattern was in the exact same as mine, LEFT! :evil:
There is no doubt this gun is shooting to the left. With lead it did give a more acceptable patter, but still not pattern where it should be, especially when shooting long distances for turkey. With the IC choke, I was able to get a pattern that should work for close working decoyed birds, but I bought this gun to work for those longer ranges with geese. After the late season this gun WILL be going back to Beretta!
Here are my concerns at this point. When I called Beretta before they said they would maybe adjust the stock or the ramp to fix the problem. In the top of the Beretta receiver there is a groove that runs to the ramp. Currenly, this gun fits me perfect. When I pull up I am looking right down the center of the groove and down the center of the ramp. If they adjust the ramp and stock as a way to fix this problem, I will no longer be looking down the center of this groove. This gun is also camo and in order for them to move the ramp they will have to pull the camo free from where the ramp meets the barrel, thus creating an area for possible problems. I believe this may be a bent barrel or a choke fit problem and can only be fixed by replacement. Should I be persistant in how this problem is fixed to "my satisfaction" once they have the opportunity to see for theseselves that not everyone that has a problem with one of thier guns is an incompetent moron?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts