Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new 391 Teknys gold 20 ga and shot it for the first time yesterday and to say I like it right off the bat is an understatement.

I had not shot an auto shotgun so I was more than a little surprised at my accuracy from the start. I was right on nearly every station and it did truly surprise me as I had not been shooting all that well with my Browning latley.

Anyway I got it, shot it and I really do like it.
I shoot 20 ga MOST of the time and exclisively in practice. So this gun will be my gun for 12, 20 and doubles if I ever shoot registered again one day.

For those who may be considering, I had ordered a new top of the line 20 ga 1100 and had it out there as well. A guy bought it from me. (It was new in the box and I sold it for $6.89 under my dealer cost, so I got to shoot both of them bran new.
I definately like the Beretta over the 1100, just my opinion but it mounts easier and fits better right out of the box than did the 1100.
I, personally would not hesitate to pick the Beretta over the 1100 every time if given a choice.

What a thrill.

I have only been shooting skeet for 2 yrs and had not fired a hunting shotgun for any reason in over 30 years. I began with a Browning 525 SC and tubed it and I really like it still. But I have has some problems with my off, shoulder, my support arm and shoulder and tis weight difference has helped already in the first 5 rounds of skeet yesterday.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
The Tek is a wonder... IMO, the best of the auto's available today. I don't know why, but for some reason it seems to have less recoil than the 391. They should be about the same gun with some small changes, but to my shoulder, the Tek definitely is a softer shooting gun than the already soft shooting 391. :lol:

Best to you, and can't wait to hear of your adventures with your new gun.

bd

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I truly appreciate your sentiments.

I don't really have anything other than the new 1100 I had out there also. O shot it as well but only 6 shots on 3,4 and 5. But to me there is no doubt the Beretta was much less recoil. The other thing I noticed is the way the action works WITH AUTHORITY. I was really surprised at this however it did not affect my accuracy even though I could feel it work. Don't get me wrong it did not slam or anything, it was just so quick and positive.
The guys who were instrumental in my making this choice were IMHO absolutely correct about thte quality of the gun vs others.

I had been having a terrible time shppting since the first of Oct when I had a little medical problem. In fact I was so discouraged I was going to put my gun away and quit for a while. But I had such a pleasant experience with this gun yesterday and my accuracy was back where it had been I can't wait to shoot once again just like before.

God Bless and keep all of you safe this holoiday season.

Merry Christmas and thanks again to all who have been so giving of their time, knowledge and experience with never a thought to the "other shoe drop". You are all very special people and a part of a very special group of people. You should be proud of yourselves and this wonderful group of law abiding citizens who own their guns LEGALLY. The last of the most honest citizens, remaining in the United States of America.

UncleFudd

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hello KW;

How is everything ?
Have not seen you in awhile.

Welcome to the Teknys world :)

I have been shooting my 12ga Teknys Gold Target for about 7 months now and love the thing.(I find it more reliable than any 1100 that I have ever owned).

Ooops, did I say that :lol:

Hit them all...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mr C.

It has been a long time. In fact I didn't know you shot anything but your original double gun if that tells you anything.

I am going to try to get to the range for a while tomorrow so if you are going to be ther I may get to visit with you once again.
It has been a pretty tough two months but all is well now and I am back to having a good time and enjoying life to the fullest.
Hope your plans for your move are still going well although I hate to lose a friend as a result.

BTW, how are you doing with your semi auto?
I am just curious as you can see from my post I am certainly happy at this point and sincerely hoping it is not just beginners luck.

Perhaps tomorrow.
Take care

UF

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
MRPOWER said:
The Teknys has less recoil than the other 391s because, among other things, it comes stock with a recoil reducer in the stock.
I didn't think Beretta put the recoil reducer in the 20ga :?: :?

12ga they did :wink:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
UF, I've shot a few different Teknys and they all shoot really well.
I shot a buddy's a while ago I shot a 24 with it and I was smoking the birds.
Afterwards I look at the choke and it was Mod since he shoots sporting with it and we never change the choke.
Nice guns! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know about the recoil reducer but the weight of the gun has made it possible for me to go through 4 or 5 rounds without my off, shoulder giving out.

However, now that I have had it a couple of weeks and been putting rounds through it I am having trouble hitting about 1/2 of my birds. I don't know what happened but as I was out again yesterday and after 3 rounds of hitting from 16 to 20 birds, I got out the double gun again for the first time and sure enough I shot straight the first round.

Naturally, being the sportsman I am, I put the damned things away and quit a winner.

But I can tell it is going to take a LOT of work to get where I can hit the birds with the Beretta as well as I have been doing with the O/U.

I'll keep at it until something breaks. It is not going to be the snap I thought it would be after the first day of shooting it. But I sure do like shooting it, I just have to begin hitting what I shoot at.

UF

·
Registered
813 Posts
Uncle KW;

What is the barrel length of the O/U ?
What is the barrel length of the Teknys ?

There is a method to my madness to these two questions...

Hit them all...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Mr. C

The Ber is 28" and the O/U is 30".
I asked a lot of Queations of the guys we shoot with before buying and even then I ordered the 1100 first and did not fire a shot through it. I saw it and immediately ordered the Teknys. I like the looks better and the feel for certain is better for me.
I was told the 28" in the auto-loader would be comparable to the 30" in the douyble and I wanted to stay as close as possible to what I had been learning and practicing with to date.

In all fairness I had been having some trouble hitting my birds for the past couple of months since my HA. But it seems as though I should be making some improvement at this time, instead I am sliding down more if anything. But I am not going to quit the gun as I really like shooting it and it has been so much more comfortable for me to support for 4, 5 or even six rounds of practice. I could not comfortably make 4 rounds with my double and the tubes.

Anyway it was good to visit and shoot with you again.
You have worked very hard at your game and it appears to be paying off in your consistancy. It is fun to watch you shoot.I told Mr. Power recently that I will one day soon be seeing your name(s) on the leader boards of the big shootsd.
I'll be able to tell everyone I knew you both When!!!.

Take care my friend.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BD

Imteresting you asked.

One of the guys I shoot with is a retired DR and he also has had heart trouble.
He said the Beta blockers he uses caused him to have quite a bit of trouble, (same as mine) when he first began using them. Then another of our squad said he had had heart trouble and the blockers had caused him trouble like mine as well.

Anyway, the Dr suggested I take the blockers at night to see if it made a difference.
I had begun to do that and I have improved some already.

But Saturday as soon as I picked up my double gun, I went right out and shot straight. So I have to believe now it is getting used to a new gun and concept, ie; the auto-loader. It is quite different aftr all.

I'm curious, have you also experience difficulty with meds?

UF

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Hi UF, Glad to hear you are making improvements.

Yes, as a black belt, I found it very easy to have my timing out a bit, antihistamines, pain killers, even antibiotics would throw things out a tad resulting is some nice shiners etc. :lol:

Also as a med student, we are taking classes on meds, even though in our profession we leave meds as a last resort, and to the other branch of our medical "family". There are so many unintended consequences for taking any med. Most of my patients right now are in pretty good shape, but did have one who was on several meds. As our treatments progressed she found her meds had to be adjust down, and down, finally being off all the meds she had been on for quite a while. Her health improved, her symptoms receded, and she has made remarkable improvements, so I know it can be done. This was more likely do to her hard work than my help... :lol: But at any rate, this year I will start working with more patients who are presenting with serious complaints, so expect to be adding quite a bit more experience in this area.

Glad to hear you are finding ways of getting back in the swing.

bd

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BD

I appreciate your involvement.

I have read several posts recently having to do with physical maladies and what if anything people were doing to help themselves.

I spent 30 years doing rodeo and stayed in very good physical condition to be able to continue. Riding bulls and broncs for many of tose years took a huge toll on my joints and for that I now have to pay the price.

Getting to the point, I have been able to keep the meds to a very fine point and use only the over the counter pain killers and joint care products most of the time.
After my heart problem in Oct I was told NOT to do anything physical and until two weeks ago when I was finally given the green lite to go out and live my life as normal, I had quit doing my workouts and I am certain it has had the greatest affect on my conditioning overall. But now I have no choice as to the blockers and the staten drugs. It's do it or else.

I bought the new Beretta 391 in 20 ga because I have a problem off shoulder and the double gun with tubes was causing a problem for me with being able to support the gun and call for birds after the second round of shooting. It became very uncomfortable so I switched to the lighter gun.
I do exercises with weights again now to try to build up or at least maintain the arm and shoulder muscles, but it doesn't seem to help much any more.

The weight of the new gun has definately made a difference and as I had posted I can now go four or even five rounds with it without physical discomfort so for that I am thankful and the goal has been established and reached.
Now I have to wonder why this gun makes such a difference in accuracy. I have to assume it is because it is soooo light and because of that I am either shooting over or under the birds most of the time or perhaps even my leads are not consistant.
I hesitate to make a lot of changes until I figure out my specific problem.

AS Mr. C was out at the range SA and I was able to shoot with him for three or four rounds he saw what I was doing. I told him at one point that I thought I may be trying too hard and was not letting the mechanics do their thing.
I went over and picked up my old double and shot straight the first round so I know I can still do it.

I really want to figure out my problem and thought perhaps some of the others on here may have had similar situations and would share in what they did to fix it.
Even those who may not necessarily had medical problems but who have changed recently to an auto from their normal, double.

In addition, I have been to so many drs over the years and had so many surgeries to repair bones and joints I have actually lost count.
It is a very bad situation for most people when drs want to pass out the narcotics. I am very appreciative of drs such as yourself who take the time to WORK with patients to help them physically and stay away from the meds. It is a very dangerous and slippery slope.
I have been down it years ago and will never visit again.
So keep up the good work with all your patients. They may not realize how fortunate they are to have someone like you to take care of them.

UF

·
Registered
813 Posts
Uncle KW;

I was watching you shoot and I did not mention anything of what I saw and you never really asked me straight out.

But, on another note, I try not to say too much cause I am there to work on my own game(selfish maybe).

Since I am not shooting and just sitting at the computer I can share with you what I saw, mind you that I am NO certified instructor...

The most obvious thing that jumped out at me was that your muzzle speed was not matching target speed.
(a lot of this can be caused by looking back at the barrel, then back at the bird, and you will speed up and slow down while judging the lead).
(hold point too close to the house and bird beat you, you speed up to the bird, go past and slow back down to get the lead, then shoot behind it)
(on the long incomers, you ran out of swing because maybe of your foot position or the ability of your body to keep going and caused you to slow your swing and shoulder roll)

It is a lighter gun than your O/U, and as such can mask a problem that only shows up with a lighter gun.

Try to drive the swing with your legs more, this will usually smooth out your swing rather than your upper body which is not very smooth.

Just my .02 cents worth
See you at the range...
Practice, practice and practice. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.