Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only shot my new CXT three times so far, and I only just patterned it today. I wanted to first test my perception of it's performance differences.

I became convinced that it was NOT shooting a 70/30 POI, by a lot, which is an explicitly advertised feature of the gun. I was routinely forced to aim high, often to the point of the target being blocked by the gun in order to pickup targets again. This is with factory Federal and NSI 7.5 or 8.

So today after I finished my traprounds, I went to the pattern board, and by aiming flat dead center, it consistently patterned 50/50.
The top of the rib is level, and the bead and mid-bead are overlapping.

What am I doing wrong here?

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
When you say "overlapping" do you mean the beads are stacked as in a figure 8 or are they one behind the other so you only see one circle?
The short answer is to raise the comb or lower the rib at the muzzle. Either way will cause you to raise the point of impact, if you maintain the same relationship of the beads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "overlapping" do you mean the beads are stacked as in a figure 8 or are they one behind the other so you only see one circle?
The short answer is to raise the comb or lower the rib at the muzzle. Either way will cause you to raise the point of impact, if you maintain the same relationship of the beads.
I mean the beads are one behind the other. Shooting that way at 30 yards should produce something like a 70/30 POI, not the 50/50 it is exhibiting now.
As it is the mid-bead is biased down in the picture when I mount it, which help produce higher hitting patterns.
I already had to do jenky workarounds to make two field guns shoot trap. I spent $2,500 on a gun specifically designed to shoot 70/30 so I wouldn’t need to do that.
The gun doesn’t have rib adjustments.
Before I talk to Browning I want to make sure it’s not me, even though I can’t imagine how it can be.

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
It all depends on what the distance from the bottom of your cheekbone to the center of your pupil is, and how you mount your face to your comb. Your gun might well shoot 70/30 for someone else ( e. g., Richard Faulds or Wendell Cherry).

I would not waste my time calling Browning, I would either get the stock bent up 1/8" (which is not much), get an adjustable comb installed or modify how you mount your face to your stock.

If you are really pressing your cheekbone down onto the comb I would say you are doing it wrong, and that is what is causing your gun to shoot so flat. You should be seeing the rib as a RAMP up to the bead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all depends on what the distance from the bottom of your cheekbone to the center of your pupil is, and how you mount your face to your comb. Your gun might well shoot 70/30 for someone else ( e. g., Richard Faulds or Wendell Cherry).

I would not waste my time calling Browning, I would either get the stock bent up 1/8" (which is not much), get an adjustable comb installed or modify how you mount your face to your stock.

If you are really pressing your cheekbone down onto the comb I would say you are doing it wrong, and that is what is causing your gun to shoot so flat. You should be seeing the rib as a RAMP up to the bead.
I've never had a mid-bead shotgun before, and I didn't know that Browning's POI design relies on a figure 8 sight alignment. I was under the impression that barrel assembly construction was the only source of the built-in 70/30 POI.
Basically I was testing it wrong by placing the beads one in front of the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, pretty sure 70/30 with figure 8 beads. Put a 1/4in thick pad or so to get a figure 8 or so. Pattern it and I'm sure it will be 70/30 or so. Adjustable comb or stick on pad will work for a permanent adjustment.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
A trap stock will typically have a higher comb that will put your line of sight further above the rib and result in stacked beads. I know several people who even like to see a little bit of rib between the beads.

If you are scrunching your face into the stock in order to align the beads, stop doing this.

I doubt Browning will do anything for you as this is unlikely an issue with the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts