Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to run out of Australian made clays and trying to decide whether to get the Canadian Clays or Claydot. Been reading a lot about both and the consensus seems that Claydot is just a tad more dense than old Clays and New Clays is as much as 1gr. per load more dense than Old clays. Don't really want to have to adjust my loader by 2 bushings lower if I can avoid it. Claydot cost is a few dollars less and I have access to both powders.

If anyone has experience with New Clays or Claydot your feedback would be appreciated.
Mec 8567 #31 bushing gives 17.5-17.6 of old Clays.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
With Clay Dot I get 17.6/17.7 grains with a #32 bushing. I use a 9000GN. STS hull,1oz shot,CB1100 wad and Win 209 primer. Should get you around 1225 fps. Changing a bushing is nothing more than one screw and disconnecting a spring on the bar.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I used a similar 1oz load with good results: AAHS hull, WW209, DRA12-1 wad (best for 1oz in AAHS hull) 18.4grs ClayDot (MEC bush #33) -- gave me 1225fps over my chrono.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I switched to Claydot when Clays became unavailable. And went to 20/28 from International.
Never looked back.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I used old Clays, Clay dot, and now new Clays. I am using either the exact same, or within 1 bushing, the same for the new Clays as the old Clays. I am using about 2 or 3 bushings smaller than for the same wt of Claydot. On my pet loads that is good since they were too tight with the Claydot. My take is the new Clays I have is about the same density as the old Clays, but it is a bit denser than Claydot. I like the new Clays. In fact, I am just going to call it Clays. I think Clays is back. I am going to continue to use it if I can continue to get it.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
To be clear, I've moved from ClayDot to RedDot simply because of availability in quantity. Have to say the "new" RedDot burns every bit as clean as ClayDot -- one bushing up for similar velocities, but results are good. I'd happily use either...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cwebster said:
Just about to run out of Australian made clays and trying to decide whether to get the Canadian Clays or Claydot. Been reading a lot about both and the consensus seems that Claydot is just a tad more dense than old Clays and New Clays is as much as 1gr. per load more dense than Old clays. Don't really want to have to adjust my loader by 2 bushings lower if I can avoid it. Claydot cost is a few dollars less and I have access to both powders.

If anyone has experience with New Clays or Claydot your feedback would be appreciated.
Mec 8567 #31 bushing gives 17.5-17.6 of old Clays.
Got 8lbs of Clay dot today and here are the results.
#31 bushing 17.5 +-.2 grains, exactly the same as old Clays
Didn't have to change a thing. Yeaaa

·
Registered
923 Posts
cwebster said:
Got 8lbs of Clay dot today and here are the results.
#31 bushing 17.5 +-.2 grains, exactly the same as old Clays
Didn't have to change a thing. Yeaaa
By my measurement, ClayDot and the Australian Clays (the "old" stuff) have virtually the same density. As I recall, Alliant designed ClayDot to be a drop-in replacement for Clays - for both ballistics and density. Obviously that doesn't negate the need to check drop weights but they should be very close.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.