Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is primarily a shotgun forum but I have a rifle question. I have a New England Firearms .223 "Handi Rifle" brought into me by a customer. The fired cartridges will not eject. Any live round ejects perfectly. I have checked the ejector system and find no problems with it at all. The empty case is sticking in the chamber back close to the rim of cartridge (about 1/8" from being all the way into the chamber. I have tried polishing the chamber but see little difference in the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

G

·
MarlandS,
Actually the loads are factory. We have tried both PMC and Winchester brand. I have noticed quite a bit of scarring on the shell shoulder within the last 1/8" or so of the casing but no other wear on the casing. I'm really puzzled at the moment.

Mark

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Mark, after you get the fired cartridge out, have you tried putting it back in? I'm not gunsmith, just blueskying.

How "well used" is the rifle? I've never ever heard of a hornet being hard on a chamber but if the barrel came from the factory with a small defect it could have grown.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MarlandS,
According to the owner this gun has had this problem since shortly after he bought it new. (My first question is why didn't he send it back to the factory). Yes I have put the spent shell back in the chamber and it always gets tight right at the shoulder of the shell, just before seating completely.

Mark

G

·
Hi. Got this page off of Google. Anyway, by now you've probably got the problem solved, but I read another webpage that says each barrel must be custom headspaced to the action by the factory. The barrel then is stamped with the last 3 numbers of the action's serial number. Maybe he got the barrel second hand? Hope this helps. And here's that link I was talking about.
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/nef.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.