Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just bought a model 37 pump 16 gauge ser #588xxx (mid-1950's model, i think) shot 3 rounds pheasant loads, third round stuck. after removal and cleaning, next time out light target load stuck in chamber. extracter and spring seem to be in good shape and will eject uinfired rounds just fine with the exception of the 3rd and supsequent rounds have a slight "stamp" from the extractoron the outer lip of the shell. the ejector looks to be in excellent condition and kick the rounds out just fine. one other thing - the action seems sloppy; it doesn't seem to lock up nearly as tight as my sxs flues (made in 1914!) checked out and polished the chamber, but head space seems to be the issue allowing the shell to back out of the chamber and expand. any ideas on the fix?

thanks ann
ps also shoot a model 51 and love it! my boss shoots mine so anyone know of a model 51 for sale?

·
Premium Member
20,011 Posts
Assuming that you polished the chamber thoroughly, you might consider trying some Win AA or Rem STS target shells. They are probably the least likely shells to stick in a chamber, and, in size 7.5 shot, they will do a good job on close range pheasants.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the ammo info! may be hard to find here; but i can order it online or in store. i'll try a local gun store in tombstone i work with (when I'm in town) called Cherokee Jacks. He inspected my flues for me and recomended the ammo for it when no other gunsmiths here would have anthing to do with ithaca's. i am trying to spread the love for these great guns here out west among people who have NEVER heard of ithaca! maybe we can generate enough demand to bring them back or, at least, keep the ithaca gunsmiths in business for the next generation!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Many of my M-37s will not reliably eject PMC shells and like ilk. Winchester, Remington and Federals work fine and that is all I now use. I don't know what you are using. Glad you enjoy your Ithacas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have only shot federal game-shock (it was hi-brass) 7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz and winchester super x #8 shot 1 oz loads. remington (according to their website) doesn't make 16 gauge shells. federal and winchester do not make 16 gauge target loads according to their website. i have the every type of 16 gauge available in the local market as far as i can tell (after many phone calls and visits!)

i ordered vintegar shells from polywad to try to resolve this problem and will try polishing the chamber again (could be years of gunck in there, as the bolt and carrier were FILTHY!) the shells fit in the chamber pretty well, so i think the barrel is not too worn. (i wish i had a headspace, firing pin protrusion, and chamber gauge for this gun!)

ps after another tear down and rebuild, it seems only the bolt carrier and forearm move in the fully chambered position!

·
Premium Member
20,011 Posts
ithacaluva said:
remington (according to their website) doesn't make 16 gauge shells. federal and winchester do not make 16 gauge target loads according to their website.
My mistake. :oops: :oops: I just wasn't paying attention when you wrote "16 gauge". In any event, I would try some different ammo. Also, when polishing a chamber, I use a bore/chamber brush with either 00 or 000 steel wool wrapped around the brush. Chuck this into a drill and use a little oil and polish away. About 15 - 20 minutes on medium speed usually slicks them up satisfactorily. If it's still rough, just do it some more. Work the brush in and out as you are running the drill.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You might contact this gunsmith. http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/

He is a former gunsmith at Ithica and the Ithica expert.

Remington makes several 16 ga loads in both and light and heavy lead and steel shot. You might have just been looking on the designated target load section.

I wonder if you measured the base section of one hull that stuck and compared it to a new one you would find the case is swelling due to a headspace problem or maybe you need to really look at the extractor fit against the shell outside of the receiver. Who knows if someone may have installed the wrong extractor at some point

Lastly this site has a real good step by step look on how to take the 37 down. http://www.gunmaintenance.com/

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hi Ann and welcome. I used to live in Tucson for 25 years,, and moving back asap. I have used Murphy's Gunshop off ofFt Lowell. Brian (Murphy) has always been a help and whenever I get back to Tucson we just sit and chat for a while. He is one good gunsmith in my opinion. If you see him tell him Cliff said hello. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ulysses, i think i didn't polish long enough (plus brush was very worn). Tulsey, i have also contacted diamond gunsmithing and will end up having to send him the gun if all else fails. Ruger, shopped and made purchases at Murphys, but called and asked if they service ithaca and they said no. Next time will go in and talk to him personally and not one of his employees if still having problems. didn't save shells as my friends took it out last time and didn't bring back spent shells.

Going up to Wickiup (sp?) to stay at a friends family ranch for the weekend. The quail hunting is sweeetttt! Thanks for all your help guys, hopefully it will work this weekend :p if not, i will have to use the mossberg 20 ga :x i would use my model 51, but my boss wants to buy it, so i'm saving it until i can find another. oh well, what he doesn't know..... 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts