Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here, long time lurker, 1st post.

Currently shooting a Silver Pigeon II 20 gauge that has treated me very well, fits me like a glove. However is also now fits my son and he has take a liking too it, which provides me with a good excuse to upgrade a bit. Just beginning the search for a high quality 20 gauge o/u game gun to be used primarily for pheasants and grouse over my Springer. Maybe an occasional clay.

Beretta EELL Classic - seems like the easiest choice as I know it will fit me, love the slim profile and the Beretta quality/reliability.

Zoli Pernice RB - Great looking guns, love the look of the solid rib, very clean, good reviews from what I can tell. Gordy and Sons has a few upgraded guns that have some beautiful wood. Almost identical stock dimensions as the Beretta.

Other options:
CSMC (Inverness or A-10), getting pricey here, and lots of mixed reviews on reliability and quality control, but I really like the case colored options here.
Perazzi MX20 - totally different gun the above, but something about these are very intriguing. Seem to be a bit heavy for dedicated field use.

Any feedback or other guns I should consider?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Have owned the Pernice in 20ga with 30" bbls. Currently own a SP1 sporting 20ga and an MX20 that i spec'd out to be a game gun more or less. Paid just under $4k for the Pernice used and felt it was a very nice gun. At 6lbs i didn't shoot it that well with birds. Shot fine for clays but a bit punchy as expected. Did not like the 'ping' sound it made when closing it and even shooting it. The sound came from the top lever. Best i can tell they all do that. The finishes were fantastic, engraving was beautiful and the round body style felt very good in the hands. Absolutely top drawer gun but for the 'ping'. Sold it for what i paid and definitely miss it. Outstanding value if under $6k.

SP1 20ga sporting is, for me, the perfect weight and dimensions as a bird gun. Just not very sexy. I would not pay any more than about $3k for ANY 686 platform gun as IMO they simply don't differentiate enough from the base models. Mine is 6lb 10oz and i find that ideal for birds. Also nice to not sweat tossing it on the ground (opened of course) when fussing with the dog. Incidentally the finishes are very durable in that setting.

MX20 has woodward style stock, game forearm and wider tramline rib. 30" bbls, Briley thinwalls. Weighed in at 7lb 3oz. iirc. Definitely a heavier feel than the SP1. Beautiful wood, great finishes and i like the factory recoil pad. It is a smooth shooter andi love the simple border engraving and black finish. Have a bluing issue on the barrels that i'm waiting to hear from Al about. it's been to Briley for thinwalls so i might be in for a struggle getting it resolved. Ordered the gun with 2 and 4 chokes and found the bottom barrel (2) to be way too open, hence the Briley work. Have not had a chance to hunt with it yet but i think it will be fine. Fun clays gun now that it has the versatility of choke tubes and i think will be an awesome bird gun. Best trigger of the three.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Oh also had a brief affair with a K20 Parcours. 20ga, 30". Weight right at 7lbs. Fun clays gun. Didn't get terribly consistent with it in the short time i had it. Would prefer a matte finish stock for birds.

The MX is meant to be a lifetime gun for me but if the right K20 parcours came available used i'd consider going back to it. It is the nicest gun of the group and more value for the $$ vs. the P gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
New guy here, long time lurker, 1st post.

Currently shooting a Silver Pigeon II 20 gauge that has treated me very well, fits me like a glove. However is also now fits my son and he has take a liking too it, which provides me with a good excuse to upgrade a bit. Just beginning the search for a high quality 20 gauge o/u game gun to be used primarily for pheasants and grouse over my Springer. Maybe an occasional clay.

Beretta EELL Classic - seems like the easiest choice as I know it will fit me, love the slim profile and the Beretta quality/reliability.

Zoli Pernice RB - Great looking guns, love the look of the solid rib, very clean, good reviews from what I can tell. Gordy and Sons has a few upgraded guns that have some beautiful wood. Almost identical stock dimensions as the Beretta.

Other options:
CSMC (Inverness or A-10), getting pricey here, and lots of mixed reviews on reliability and quality control, but I really like the case colored options here.
Perazzi MX20 - totally different gun the above, but something about these are very intriguing. Seem to be a bit heavy for dedicated field use.

Any feedback or other guns I should consider?
You could also take a look at a used K20.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would make sure to take stock measurements from your SPII (assuming you shoot it well) save them somewhere safe and look for something with very similar or exactly the same dimensions. Keeping the SPII in the family is a good idea just in case. All of your choices are good ones but, I have never handled a CSMC A-10 or Inverness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I will not be getting rid of the SP II, just loaning it to my son for a while! I have the measurements and may even send the stock to out to duplicate if I end up getting more of a legacy/custom gun.

Had a chance to shoot a Perazzi last week (Mx12) and now I am thinking hard about a ordering a custom MX20 Ribless Game gun which was spec'd by Sportarm of London. POW grip, 28", fixed chokes (IC/M), black action/trigger with upgraded hand finished wood, right around 6 1/2 lbs. Anyone fondled/shot one of these?

Another option is the Beretta SL3, which is a significant step up on $$,Cole has a few with blank stocks.

Choices, choices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts