Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to get a new shotgun for deer season and was thinking about the mossberg model 500, ithaca deerslayer II, or the benelli nova. what do you guys think? i'm looking for a reliable, inexpensive gun. i'm kinda leaning towards the nova, simply because i like the look of the gun. my only question is does it require a cantilever scope mount, and also, do you need to get the model with the rifled barrel, or do they make replacement barrels (like the 870) so it can be a multi-purpose gun? any input or opinions would be great...

·
Registered
63 Posts
i bought a nova tactical and was told by the dealer that replacement/field bbls were available directly through benelli for apx. $185 . .i never looked into it though

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
You can buy xtra barrels for the nova, plus the receiver on all novas are drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually Ithaca makes a slug barrel and Gander Mountain sells for 159.00 for the Nova. However, I have a Nova and I'm not sure they are drilled and tapped for a scope. B-square makes a saddle mount for a scope though. A slug version of the Nova sells for around 450.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:lol: I have a nova also, mine is not drilled and tapped for a scope, just the deer slug version which is 3'', the forearm is also not as noisy!!
Good Luuck Marc

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well the model 500 will be the cheapest you can get the combo with 28" field barrel and a 24" rifled slug with rifle sights for about $285 and will last you till you decide to get rid of it. The Ithaca deerslayer is a great gun but I think new they are up in the $400 range. I like the monte carlo stock on the slayer II. However I am not sure about the stock as far as what kind of sight picture you will get if put a field barrel on it. Then there is the Nova I myself don't care for the looks or the synthetic. But as far as function and reliability goes it is a great gun so far. I have only looked at the field w/ 28" barrel and that was priced at $299. Some one else said they have slug barrels for $149 so you are looking at about $450 for that. The fully rifled Nova comes in at $450 by it's self and is only 3". I think if you go with the Nova you woudl be better in the long run with the field then buy a deer barrel. All three are good guns seems price comes in, do you think $400+ is inexpensive for a pump?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Bag -a- Buck
I got that information directly from Benelli's website. Maybe drilling and tapping of the receiver is a new feature.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my shotguns and shooting them but if you looking for an inexpensive way to bring home so deer, I would get yourself a cheap muzzloader from wal-mart. I brought home a 164 LB spiked Buck as well as a 11o LB doe last year with my $75 wal-mart buzzleloader and a cheap $30 2.5x. I love equiptment as much as the next guy so if you're really looking for getting another shotgun, by all means get one but if you just looking to bring home the meat, my solution is above.

Scott

G

·
ok, i looked at the stores around here, saw what they had, and i am still leaning to the nova. my only question now is, how much difference is there between having a rifled barrel and having a smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke on it? i know i wont be taking any 200 yard shots, so is there alot of drop off in performance when talking about a 50 yard or less shot? does anyone here have any exp. on this (esp. with a nova)? also, i know that they rattle a little, but the ones at the store seemed to rattle quite a bit. there is a way to tighten it up a little isnt there? i thought someone had said something about it but i could be wrong. on another note, scott maryland: i already have a muzzleloader, but shotgun season is coming up. muzzleloader isnt for a couple more weeks, but rest assured i'll be out there then too! thanks again for everyone's advice/opinions..i appreciate it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If cost was a real issue I would go with the Mossberg or look at Remington's 870 Express. If you got the cash and still want a pump gun I would go with the Ithica Deer slayer. You can 28 get a Remington combo 20" and 28" barrels both included for under $400, and the previous post has the Mossberg pricing. The Deer Slayer II if I am not mistaken has a dedicated rifled barrel which is supposed to be more accurate verse a field model that you can change barrels do to the small amount of play that can occur.

G

·
Anonymous said:
ok, i looked at the stores around here, saw what they had, and i am still leaning to the nova. my only question now is, how much difference is there between having a rifled barrel and having a smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke on it? i know i wont be taking any 200 yard shots, so is there alot of drop off in performance when talking about a 50 yard or less shot? does anyone here have any exp. on this (esp. with a nova)? also, i know that they rattle a little, but the ones at the store seemed to rattle quite a bit. there is a way to tighten it up a little isnt there? i thought someone had said something about it but i could be wrong. on another note, scott maryland: i already have a muzzleloader, but shotgun season is coming up. muzzleloader isnt for a couple more weeks, but rest assured i'll be out there then too! thanks again for everyone's advice/opinions..i appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Actually, the muzzle loader suggestion was pretty much on...if you can use it during the shotgun slug season like here in IL. Although I have a very accurate bolt action slug gun, I will probably use my muzzle loader for both seasons this year. …Very accurate and more pleasant to shoot.

For my two sons I bought the Mossberg combos with a cantilevered fully rifled barrel.
Both are very accurate with sabot and Foster type slugs. No problems out to 100 yards - reliable accuracy. I took a nice So. IL. 6 pt with my oldest son's at 75 yards with a Foster style slug.

You can use rifled choke tubes or a smooth bore and open sights out to ~50 yards with reasonable accuracy. I'm sure there are exceptions but much beyond that you will find that your groups open WAY up. Also, unless the barrel is fixed to the receiver I wouldn't go with a receiver mounted scope. In general, they are very inconsistent in terms of accuracy. There is just too much play between the barrel and the receiver for good accuracy. If you look at the Deer Slayer, it's set up more like a rifle. You'll find that the barrel is fixed and free floated and the comb allows for scope/open sight use. It's very accurate for a pump gun.

If it were my money, for less than $450 dollars I'd go with a dedicated slug gun with a rifled barrel and cantilevered scope mount. Otherwise, if I had to get one multi-purpose gun, I for a good combo with similar features such as fully rifled barrel and cantilevered scope mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts