Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow is this place great!!!
I have found tons of info....

I am very new to this sport. I am 39 and just starting out..
My Son started his gun saftey class, I came along and half way through the class I signed up. Well on my way to a new hobby. My son is interested in Bow hunting this fall. I grew up with all the men in my family as avid hunters. (I never got to go for some reason). My son will be going with my brother if he passes his test. I will more than likely be going also.
If he is responsible with his bow I plan on getting him his 1st shotgun. My husband is not much of a hunter, but between my son and now myself we are slowly getting him interested.

I have been looking around for a shotgun for myself. I am about 5' 7'' 145. I would like to find somthing mostly for skeet and trap, and then get into bird and deer hunting. I like the idea of a challenge while hunting and am not interested in long range guns. So I guess I am looking for a gun that interchangable. (slugs and shot with the different chokes). (Wow I actually know what those are).

2 weeks ago I shot my 1st shotguns a 12g and 20g. I actually think the 12g felt better than the 20, unfortuanatly I don't rember the brand names. I did look at a Remington 870 over the weekend and it felt good but it was a 12g and I think I need a 20?

So any of you awsome women out there that can give me some advise that would be great.

Thanks
Sheila Otte from MN

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to Shotgun World Shooting forums! I say buy a 12 ga trust me you will want one eventually. I will suggest what i always suggest a remington 1100. Then buy a youth stock or a different stock (synthetic) and have someone cut it down to fit you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello Sheila, Welcome

I agree with XT that you should just go 12ga right away. At 5'7" and 145 you are more than able to comfortably shoot a 12ga. I like Remington as a first gun, but I usually recomend the 11/87 premier. If you were shooting only trap and skeet then a 1100 in one of the sporting config would do well, but you also want to hunt. After shooting both the 1100 and the 11/87, the 11/87 seems to have a lighter recoil to it with 1 oz trap loads. The 11/87 is chambered for both 2 3/4" and 3" and you can go to most large sporting goods stores and find a fully rifled 21" cantlever slug barrel. It is also a very pretty gun with the deep gloss blue and glossy walnut wood. I have set up alot of the women that have come to my store with the premier, and the only bad thing I have ever heard when they come back is I want a O/U now too. :) Semi auto's will have less recoil than pumps and that will always make clays more fun. I would like to recomend more but some are pretty pricy, I guess we
need to nail a price range down to relly help.

As far as your hubby goes don't worry about it. My hubby had totally stopped hunting when we got together and I convinced him to start up again so he could take me hunting. Hunting may not be something your hubby will enjoy, but I am sure he will have a blast when you get him out to break some clays. That and well "recreational" effects at night always seem better after a round of trap with the hubby. :shock: :D :twisted:

G

·
Thanks Gals....
I think I will be going to look for one on Tuesday. I am thinking the remington 11/87.

I am so excited.... Really looking forward to the great outdoors.

Sheila

G

·
I have a question on 2 different types of slugs used in a rifled barrel. I am hunting in brush and started using Winchester Partition Gold 385 fps instead of my old standby Lightfield. The Lightfields are about 500 fps slower but about twice the diameter on the target board than the Winchesters. What difference will the Winchester have at a smaller dia and faster speed when they hit brush over the Lightfields??? Will the smaller faster slug break down faster???
Bruce M. Glen Mills,Pa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.