Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever noticed that a new gun off the rack may actually be several years old?

Was looking at a Citori yesterday that was actually made in 1999. Is this common?

I'm sure it varies gun to gun, but old do you think the majority of the new guns are out there?

Is it unreasonable to want to buy a citori that was made in '03?

Just wondering.

BC

·
Registered
285 Posts
As long as the model is the same and the gun is truly new and unfired, what are you going to get in one that was manufactured in 02 vs 99?

I would not be concerned. I've probably purchased 25 or more new guns over the years and as long as I know what I'm buying (current model, new and unfired) I give it no thought as to when it was manufactured.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Two years ago I bought a Ruger target rifle that was "new", factory tags on the trigger guard, never fired, plasic wrap stuff in the box, etc. But it was made in '97. The nice thing was the trigger was set at 1 1/2 lbs! 8) I wouldn't worry about it being the exact year model as purchased, just that its unfired and comes with all the extra goodies.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi backcountry, very good question . to me i new gun would be MADE the same year we buy it ,
does anybody know what the price difference would be on a new gun made in 99 verses new gun in 03? both being new in box from store or dealer. :?: errol

·
Registered
285 Posts
When you buy a hammer at the local hardware store, do you make sure it was manufactured in the same year you purchase it? Why not?

Would you offer the retailer less because the hammer was made 3 years ago?

Lots of things to be concerned about when buying a shotgun, I would put that one on the VERY bottom of my list.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Backcountry this is a great question as it relates to business ethics. My company converts unsold inventories at gun shops to working inventories, and I am amazed at how old some new guns are in a shop...up to five years old!!

Somebody used the analogy of the hammer, i.e., would you be concerned about buying last year's hammer. I guess my answer to that would be, yes, I would object to buying last year's hammer if it cost $1200 and was a depreciating asset, determined by year (serial number) and condition. However, there are no Bluebook values on hammers.

We feel here at our company that the very definition of retailing is that you are selling current inventory, and if you are not, that the product is marked as such, and has a price point reflective of last year's merchandise. I am sure others will disagree, but I think it is all about retailer ethics.

We have found that most gun retailers do, in fact, just sell current year's models, as they want a "good story" (last year's model) to have a sale on unsold inventory. Most retailers are pretty sharp in today's economy, i.e., they don't have a lot of unsold inventory.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
"Retailer ethics"--now there's a concept for you! Just kidding Remington II :lol: I have to come down on JMCCOYB's side on this one, I think. Not about the hammer so much, but about the shotguns. NIB is fine with me--if it's a very old gun or a discontinued model, I'd probably try to bargain for it a bit. Sometimes slightly older new guns have advantages--an older 870 Express, for example, might not have the stupid child lock on it. Anyway, if you think about all the consideration that goes into a gun purchase--other than impulse buys--mfg date on a new firearm doesn't seem to be all that important. I agree with Remington, however, that it's a good question--got me thinking.

Jeff23

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.