Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is the short story...I've shot skeet in the past, but its been about 5 years so I sold my Citori Skeet O/U (stupid, I know).

Now I am relocating for my job and will have a trap range about 2 miles from my house. So I'm looking for recommendations for a decent, budget friendly 12ga to get the job done.

I've been leaning toward an 1100, but not real sure about the differences in all the models (trap, sporting, etc). I'll probably buy something NIB...just picky like that. Unless I find something too good to pass up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What is your budget? The nice thing about trap is that unless you do Doubles or Olympic Trap (Bunker), a pump is all you need, and both Browning and Remington make one set up for Trap. Browning's is the BPS Trap and Remington's is the 870 Wingmaster Classic Trap. I'll be picking my Classic Trap up Friday, can't wait :)

That said, a regular Remington 870 Express, Benelli Nova or SuperNova, or Browning BPS Hunter would all be adequate.

If you want to go autoloader, then a wealth of options open up.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The only comment I'll add to Zeedes posting is this.
Only you know how serious you get into something, if you are going to get serioius about trap you really need a Trap Gun.

With that said, the 1100 or 750 Remington Classic Traps are great guns for the sport, you won't be disappointed with either one. The 1100, however, is easiler to shoot doubles with (at least for me). The many variations of traps singles can keep your interest for years so the 870 is a good gun to start with, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Happy shooting..............................Levi

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Unless the 1100 fits you from the get go, I would seriously look at the Beretta 390, 391, 3901 or the Browning Gold. These all have a shim system that allows for some adjustment for cast and drop. If you do get an auto make sure that you get a shell catcher/deflector.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You can shoot trap with ANY shotgun.
Get what strikes your fancy.

If I were in your situation, I'd get a Sporting Clays model. With that, you can shoot any game you want with equal alacrity.

If you find out later that you MUST have a "trap" gun, you'll be in a position to know more of which gun will best suit you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I agree completely w/ code5coupe. Part of the trouble with gun fit is that if you're new to the shooting sports, your form and mount have not yet solidified into an infinitely repeatable and reliable shape. Until it does, you may not know what specs you need from a shotgun to fit you properly. It's best to try and learn a little bit about gun fit before your first purchase, shoulder a bunch of guns to see which fits best "out-of-the-box", then spend time shooting and learning a game and the form/mount that go along with it.

This way, you can see just how seriously you want to get back into the sport, work on your form and mount, and *then* see about getting a more specialized gun. You should be in a better position to check your own gun fit at that point too!

Cameron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts