Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas, New guy to the site, here. I have been shotgunless for a few years now, but should be getting one back from the gunsmith soon. I wanted an all-around shotgun (beware the man with one gun and all that) with emphasis on the HD role and decided to do a build on a Rem 11-87P. I am not going too crazy. I am having chokes installed and the forcing cone reworked. I am putting Trak-loks on it, a Surefire forearm, and a taller safety button. I am looking forward to doing all of my shotgunning, from skeet to IPSC/IDPA to deer to HD with it, not with the idea that it will be the best tool for each of those but rather that I will be better with it. I also look forward to getting questions that will surely arise answered here.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congrats! I, for one, believe the 11-87P is the best semi tactical scattergun to be had for the money (love the benellis but can't justify the extra expenditures).

-Merry Christmas

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sounds cool! I just did a tactical skeet gun on a 11-87. The one thing I was wondering, and not knowing the hunting laws in your state, I don't know about the light on the gun for hunting. Lights and lasers are not allowed in Michigan. Good luck on your project. Let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just reviewed Virginia hunting regs. It is illegal to "cast a light" across fields or what not. It does not say anything about having a light mounted on your weapon or in your possession. I think I will take the batteries out of it when deer hunting just to avoid any issues. Might make a good place for a small roll of toilet paper!

On the other hand, it should be dandy for coyotes/bobcats at night.

Rick

·
Registered
374 Posts
sounds alot like me - I love tactical, hunting ect but dont want to spend $$ to get best on all! With that surefire - you could load up some #4 buck and blow some raccoons from the trees - thats always fun! and if you want a show - 3" HP slugs :twisted:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Greathounder-what loads are you running for skeet?

Remster-The money is only half of it, the other half is time. I have time to "dabble" in a variety of shotgun things, (skeet, IPSC, etc) but not enough time to devote to any one of them to get really good, BUT...it all adds up to being pretty good and very familiar with one particular gun, which is a big chunk of the HD/tactical thing. Its all fun.

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I picked up the new 11-87P, which now sports Trak-Loks, choke tubes, a Surefire forearm, SGT safety, and Spectre Gear CST sling. Haven't got it to the range yet. Looks and feels good, though.

Rick

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
could someone tell me what a "track-loks" is? he says sheepishly

anyway...

11-87 owners unite...

let's see some pics guys... just finished my own and i've taken pics of parts of her for posting here but not the whole SG... maybe after christmas...

as far as i'm concerned, i'll never sell my 870 but the 11-87 is just as good if not better...

kinda like a clutch vs. an auto in a car... fans of each, but the 11-87 rocks...

if anyone wants an 11-87 special purpose (matte finish) vent rib bbl, the 21 inch with rem choke, and wants to trade the same length and same rem choke system of a non- vent rib variety, let me know...

the rib just doesn't say "tactical" to me but for you guys who shoot skeet with a HD SG, it would look nice... hint, hint...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
try

www.photobucket.com

store pics there, copy and paste the link here, and presto, pics on SGW AND it's free...

thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts