Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

new guy here that just got addicted to ******* nintendo :lol: (sporting clays) I want to start to reload for the hell of it, savings will be nice (if any) but I want to do it more for knowledge and producing my own loads. That way I won't be able to blame my score on all the blanks I seem to be getting in all the boxes of shells I buy! :oops:

First ever round of spoting clays got 19/50 anf first ever 5 stand got 11/25. I will need lots and lots 'O shell as you can see!! Now for the questions: I bought a fair amount of Winchester Super X 12G games loads to feed my new madness (got 'em cheap at wally world). Are those hulls suitable for reloading (or any other ready made loads for that matter) or should I start fresh with made for reload hulls? Only reason I'm asking is I pick 'em up anyhow when we're shooting in the field (not at the gun club) so instead of throwing them in the trash, I'll save them. Not a money issue, just wondering.

I'm buying a MEC 650 for starters, books and a scale, any other suggestions? I think I've read most of the reload posts by now............yes I'm a sick man, I know 8)

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Welcome to the world of shotshell reloading... the only people who are stranger than us are those true loonies who reload brass; they're beyond hope.

Anyhow, if you're gonna reload with a 650, get a resizer as well, since it doesn't resize the brass. As to the hulls, those hulls meant to be reloaded usually are the most satisfactory; Fed Gold Medal, Rem STS, & Win AA are the most common.

I know a few guys who reload Remington Gun Club hulls using an STS recipe - they get about 3 reloads before they toss 'em. Also, a few guys reload the Federal Game Loads the same way, with a Gold Medal recipe. The biggest reason they use these is that they're free by the wheelbarrow load at the club.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I bought a used MEC 635 with a few extra goodies for 100$. Got the Lyman book too. I need a scale now. "Boss" is getting tired of my new hobby already, maybe I should get her a 20g........... :wink:

Glenn

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The big question is what are you shooting?o/u or auto?The cheapo shells can only be loaded once or twice.Load in a o/u and toss 'em.I prefer an auto.When my shells are near the end I load 'em for the clays course and leave 'em lay-these are the AA and Remington hulls :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
BFC said:
I'm buying a MEC 650 for starters,
Bad choice if you're planning on scavenging hulls.

The 650 has no resizing station and the hulls you get from here and there will have been shot in all sorts of guns and should be resized.

By the time you buy an additional resizing device for about $50 you could have bought a MEC Grabber to begin with.

I assume you'll be reloading 12 or 20 gauge, which won't save you much more than about 50 cents a box less than good promo shells from Wal-Mart.

The 12 and 20 gauge Remington STS, Gun Clubs and Game Loads all use the same recipes and will reload at least 10 times.

If that's what you'll be reloading, stick to the Remingtons and leave the rest of the hulls in the trash cans where they belong.

You can experiment with other hulls when you get some experience.

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. The search engine is ineffective and poorly functioning. The data will eventually show up, but one must sift through a lot of unrelated dribble. ( Don't tell me to learn to use a search engine! work on improving it). 2. Those posters who are too busy posting long and varied subjects, and can't look down the page and "skip" repeat posts should form their own "Elite" board. 3.I've reloaded for many years and am willing to spend time for helping new members. Our rights to own and use firearms is too precious to discourage new shooters and reloaders. 4. You may check my posts- there are only a few, so I don't
"Qualify for Exalted Status". DB

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bob,
I agree with you.This is the best Shotgun forum out there but the search feature can leave you frustrated.I've tried using it and have gone through dozens of posts only to give up in frustration.
Dave

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Denali Bob said:
1. The search engine is ineffective and poorly functioning. The data will eventually show up, but one must sift through a lot of unrelated dribble. ( Don't tell me to learn to use a search engine! work on improving it).
The search engine on this board functions exactly the same as search engines on all message boards -- no better, no worse.

You put in some key words and it lists the posts where it finds them.

The script's not written, nor would it likely be possible to write it to match the technical level of a Google or any other major Internet search engine.

Our rights to own and use firearms is too precious to discourage new shooters and reloaders.
Nobody's discouraging anyone, just pointing out commonly accepted message board etiquette, which is not to dredge up ancient posts, write some inane comment that adds nothing new nor anything else that would justify reviving a long-dead post, then shove current topics down with it on the first page, causing people to have to sift live topics out of long dead corpses.

BTW: BFC, who started this topic, replied to it once, on Aug. 4, 2003.

It was the last post he's made on this board.

Tell me how hoashooter's reviving this dead horse has contributed one single thought of value to the board -- for anyone, let alone BFC, who is no doubt long gone from here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The comments made are irrelevant to the fact that the search engine is inefficient. The reason new users do not use the search engine is because it is time consuming, frustrating,and inefficient. Obviously other comments are also irrelevant. DB

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
The search engine was efficient enough for me to quickly determine BFC hasn't posted on this board since Aug. 4, 2003, which makes the revival of this topic not only irrelevant but ridiculous.

But since you persist in arguing the ridiculous, one might expect the logic of that to escape you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
vetteman said:
Bob,
I agree with you.This is the best Shotgun forum out there but the search feature can leave you frustrated.I've tried using it and have gone through dozens of posts only to give up in frustration.
Dave
My biggest gripe with the search function is that once you get a list of selected topics that contain your search criteria, and you look at one of the posts, when you try to return to the list, it has expired. You have to enter the entire search information again to get the list back. If this works differently, I would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Otto...

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Otto CO said:
My biggest gripe with the search function is that once you get a list of selected topics that contain your search criteria, and you look at one of the posts, when you try to return to the list, it has expired.
How are you trying to return to the results index?

The easiest way to view topics from the search results is to open each one in a new window. Then if there are multiple pages you can go through them without any chance of losing the original index.

But if you open them directly from the index, you should always be able to return there with the back button.

The new window is easiest and less confusing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been using the browser's back button. When I try to return to the list, I get the page expired warning and have to start over. I'll try another to see what other options I might have missed.

Thanks,
Otto...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just tried another search and got the page expired warning again. If I press the refresh button though, I get the list back. At least I don't have to retype my qwery again.

Thanks,
Otto...

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
If you guys look arround a little you will see hoasooter is sloshing arround on about every site on the NET reviveing about every old post he thinks he could respond to. Must not have enough to do? :?

BP

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
If you guys look arround a little you will see hoasooter is sloshing arround on about every site on the NET reviveing about every old post he thinks he could respond to. Must not have enough to do? :?

BP
Or he just enjoys getting the forum police types worked up? :roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.