Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried out the new mec grabber finally. Crimps are a mess. swirled and off center. Adjusted the cam up a touch to no avail. Any ideas? Particularly The two in the center is what I'm getting most.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually think I just narrowed it down to a prcrimp issue. Loaded single shells and didnt make a full pull on the pre crimp stage and got a couple nice crimps. Think I need to raise the pre crimp quite a bit.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Yep. Swirls come from excessive deep pre-crimp.

Crimp die adjustment directions happen to be in the Grabber's manual.............. and most of my shotshell loading books use MEC's for their main example since they are the Big Gorilla among us and they explain crimp adjustment too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They really don't look that bad.

Be aware that the newer gun clubs seem to have inconsistent hull lengths, which can cause inconsistent crimps.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Several comments:

Gun Clubs used to be very consistent. As noted by others, they now seem to vary more in length. Get a press all set up for typical length, run a longer one through, and you will get a swirlie or pinwheel or whatever you want to call it.

You could take 25 brand hew factory shells out of a box, stand them all on end, and see a pretty good variety of crimps, not at all different from the photo posted.

Mec's set up instructions are somewhat misleading. If the precrimp is not right, no amount of cam adjustment is going to fix things. As a general rule, if you get holes in the middle (often on AAHS) you need more precrimp. If you are getting swirlies then less precrimp and back off on the cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts