Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I found this site while researching an old family heirloom. Lots of information here! I have a SxS 16 double that I was told was made in Belgium and was described as a "Hardware store gun". Well, doing a bit of research I find that it is probably French and was made in St. Eitinnes. I also found it has 2 1/2 inch chambers, marked 65 on the barrel flats. I have sadly only fired 2 3/4 in it in the past, it was all that was available. I will try to post pictures. Can anyone tell me more about it? Thanks.
Rectangle Artifact Font Book Wood

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It is a Rhombus but that isn't a typical St. Etienne proofmark. Pleasure us with some additional images of the marks on the tubes and on the water-table.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I recall, the only marking on the water table is the serial number. I will check again when I get home. I will research that name, but in a nutshell, what is it? Is it collectable? I will get more pictures later also. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It means Grand Prize, possibly @ a shoot in Morocco or maybe some type of novel advancement like light tubes by barrel maker Didier. But in the end it is just advertising.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
There should be additional marks on the barrels forward of the flats up to the forend hanger.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Most of it is just advertising...... The French abolished compulsory proof, so they advertised a lot on their wares to assure the hunter that he was a custodian of a quality longarm.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hum. I do not see the typical initials or advertising near the lower rib. Are there marks on the receiver / frame / water-table?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 - 13 of 13 Posts