Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just brought home a 500 with 20" and I think its a 8+1 capacity (I havent bought any shells, headed to the store now LOL!!) Anyway, this gun is for Home Defense and a JIC the SHTF kind of gun to be used as a primary protection with support from my S&W M&P 45, Springfield XD40 SubComp and S&W 642 .38. I think my collection of protection is complete for now with perhaps the addition of some sort of rifle while we are still in the pre Communist (Hilary) days :evil: !! Trying to get it all built up for good all around protection. Glad I found the sight as I will begin the accessory phase of my new 500 soon. Thanks all.

Brad

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Congrats and WELCOME to SGW!!!

Get some of the "low-recoil" buckshot for HD and you'll be all set.

Get a case or two of 1 oz target loads and get used to the controls, practice, practice, practice, until using the gun becomes second nature...

Smitty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well bought a box of shells to practice with this weekend when I venture to the country and to my disappointment I found that this gun only holds 4 in the tube and 1 in the chamber!! So why does it have the 20" barrel and extended tube that is equal to the barrel, yet only holds 4 in the tube??! This is quite dissappointing as the moron in the store told me it would hold something around 8+1, which is quiet a bit more than 4+1!! Any help or suggestions, am I not loading it right, is there something I have to adjust, anything??

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
18.5" barrel holds 5 i think. as for buckshot id suggest the hornady light mag 00, nice punch and its 2 3/4 so you can load up maximum rounds. patterns good. im still trying to get my 20" 590 to pattern well at 40yds consistantly. im sure you'll enjoy yours after you get the load combo worked out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would I go about removing it, or better yet, how would I know there is one in there before I start taking it apart. I found a great video on youtube that shows how to field strip the 500 but havent had the time yet to get around to seeing its insides LOL!! Either way, the guy said it had a high capacity, it has the extended tube which IMO should be a higher capacity so what gives? The only reason I care is that I was told that it had the 8+1 capacity and there was a 590 sitting next to it with a lower capacity, I chose the 500. I know three rounds really doesnt make a difference, I guess its the principal that I was deceived!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
medicff0879 said:
How would I go about removing it,
1) Make sure your gun is unloaded
2) Unscrew the thumbscrew at the end of the magtube.
3) Remove barrel
4) Take gun and point it straight down at the ground
5) Shake, Shake, & Shake...

The magazine plug (a wooden dowel with o-rings on it) will fall out the hole that the barrel screw goes into....

I know three rounds really doesnt make a difference, I guess its the principal that I was deceived!!
All of the shotguns come with plugs.... I don't think the deception was intentional....

Smitty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have just had a case of foot in mouth syndrome and thank you VERY MUCH for the help Smitty!! I honestly had no idea that it came with the plug in it and I am 100% sure the deception was not intended LOL!! Glad I found this forum, thanks again for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.