Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past week I have seen 2 new products from MEC. One of them I saw on EBay,
The other one at a LGS, its a much improved shot/powder bottle. That thing is heavy duty, 1/4" walls and still under $20.00 for the tall one. Might stop the breaking at the neck issue they are experiencing.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I found interesting about the new handle is the amount of money MEC had to spend to get it to market. That is a complex tool with the internal ribs and the groove in the end for their logo disc. From my days in the injection molding industry the tool cost is in the area of $10,000. Then to have an employee hand load the logo disc into the tool is a costly addition.

Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
The new handle is actually quite nice. Just got one that was on back order for over a year.
FYI midsouth shooters supply has some in stock . For a lot less than fleebay.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would this make the wooden handle obsolete?
Because MEC is not making the wooden handle any longer. As long as your handle does not break you are good to go.

Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts
To say that I am NOT impressed with MEC's newer products is a rather large understatement. I have MEC charge bars that pre-date the ones with that infernal rubber insert and while I do have to slap the charge bar on occasion it's a single time event. With the rubber insert after a week or two of use it gets a groove that traps shot pellets. When that happens you have to slap the charge bar every single time until that pellet finally pops free. Because of this issue I ordered 20 of the inserts at 2 bucks a piece and quickly concluded it was a waste of money because these were designed to develop a groove quickly. So guess what popped up under that ad for the new style handle. Yeah, those lousy soft rubber inserts, for 4.95 each. One of these days I'm going to take a chunk urethane sitting on a shelf next to my work bench and spend some time on a Saturday making an insert featuring a high durometer urethane. Don't know how well it will work but I suspect it will be better than what MEC is selling for nearly 5 dollars each.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
Hi Steve,

Where did you find the powder/shot bottles? Do you know the brand name?

Kinda curious that MEC does not have the handle listed on it's website.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Steve,

Where did you find the powder/shot bottles? Do you know the brand name?
The bottles were at a LGS and are a MEC bottle/product, as they look identical to the originals.

Steve

Reactions: dogchaser37

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is this a second new style of bottle?

The new bottles I have are absolutely trash. The mouth of the bottle isn’t formed as well, so it doesn’t seal against the powder washer on my 600 JR Mark V. Consequently, the opening on the bottom of the bottle is wider. If I tighten this bottle, the black rubber washer will go inside the mouth of the bottle and powder drops are erratic and leaking. Maybe I have a defective one, but it is certainty not an improvement.

Old bottle with shot. New bottle with powder.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The way I recognized it was a "new" bottle was I pulled the red cap out of the top and saw that the wall thickness on them was 1/4". Further more these bottles side walls are rock solid, much harder to get them to flex with your fingers.
In the past MEC has made their bottles from 2 different plastics, the very first ones were polyethylene, milky white like milk bottles and hard to see through. The next generation were PVC, a clear, cheap plastic. Easy to see through but become brittle over time when exposed to chemicals.(powder)
I can see were you could have problems with the powder bottle you have pictured, the simple solution in this case is to switch them around. The new bottles I saw have a much wider lip for the sealing surface.

Steve

·
Registered
377 Posts
That bottle is from a 2021 production press. It is certainly not 1/4” thick, but it is very slightly thicker than the first clear bottles. Yes, I could swap it out. I just discovered the reason for the problem yesterday, as I loaded a quick hundred shells to shoot clays that afternoon. I think I’ll try to get a replacement from Mec instead. They have always had good customer service.

I’d like to see a picture of the new bottles you’re referring to. I need a handful of new bottles, but I don’t want more of this style with the white plastic screw-on cap.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’d like to see a picture of the new bottles you’re referring to. I need a handful of new bottles, but I don’t want more of this style with the white plastic screw-on cap.
I can't really help you there as the LGS I was at does not have a web site or internet sales. I guess the best you might be able to do is call MEC and see if they can send you a pic showing the top with the plug removed. Or the next time I get up there (1 hour away) I will take a picture.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
What I found interesting about the new handle is the amount of money MEC had to spend to get it to market. That is a complex tool with the internal ribs and the groove in the end for their logo disc. From my days in the injection molding industry the tool cost is in the area of $10,000. Then to have an employee hand load the logo disc into the tool is a costly addition.

Steve
Industries sure make a difference in what we think is high for tooling, eh? I routinely spent many times more than that for tools to make components for off-highway transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Industries sure make a difference in what we think is high for tooling, eh? I routinely spent many times more than that for tools to make components for off-highway transmissions.
That cost is for a single cavity tool, some of the multi cavity units we had cost $100,000 and up.

Steve

·
Registered
377 Posts
Inquiring minds need to know.
Steve
Sorry - lost part of the post as I edited the original multiple times.

The malformed bottle mouth allowed the black rubber gasket to move out of place as I tightened the bottle. The gasket would get forced into the bottle mouth. That led to powder migration and 2-3gr variances in powder drops.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In the past week I have seen 2 new products from MEC. One of them I saw on EBay,
The other one at a LGS, its a much improved shot/powder bottle. That thing is heavy duty, 1/4" walls and still under $20.00 for the tall one. Might stop the breaking at the neck issue they are experiencing.

Steve
I just purchased a MEC 9000E and it came with significantly thicker (and stronger) shot and powder bottles.

Maybe those are what you are referring to? It still has a wooden handle. Who is LGS?

Also, since I started using the MEC bottle supports on all my loaders, I have yet to have a bottle break, or even show any hairline cracks at the neck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts